[News] gOS (Linux) Wins Hands Down Against Vista and Even OSX in Terms of Usability

  • Subject: [News] gOS (Linux) Wins Hands Down Against Vista and Even OSX in Terms of Usability
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:03:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Review of the GOS Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| I like what I see so far. I have never used Enlightenment so I have not
| checked everything yet, but I think this will be a great solution for my
| kids. I also think that the older generation that may have not yet been
| indoctrinated into using Windows, my find the gOS as very intuitive to use.
| The operating system will run great on low end PC's.
| As far as usability on low end PC's, gOS wins hands down against Vista and
| even OSX. The drawback, as with any linux based operating system is
| compatibility with software that OSX or Windows uses. Many free software
| solutions help make up for this using the Synaptic package manager.

gOS - My Official Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its bias towards web apps, it does still have an excellent series of
| desktop applications - the full Open Office suite, The GIMP (which I used to
| capture the screenshots), Firefox as the default web browser, Thunderbird as
| your e-mail client (and unlike in Ubuntu, it includes easy Gmail
| configuration - why was this taken out of Ubuntu?) and Pidgin for IM - all
| excellent applications which are more than able replacements for the kind of
| thing you get on a brand-new Windows desktop - in fact, I'd say they are far
| better apps than what I got with my Vista laptop.

It's not just in Wal-Mart, by the way, since they've expanded and reached more
shops recently. Very good reviews, inventory issues (available stocks sold

Everex Names ZaReason Authorized Reseller of $199 gPC

,----[ Quote ]
| "Most of the people who buy systems from us want some type of
| customization," states ZaReason CEO, Cathy Malmrose. "Our entire R&D
| department is driven by people asking for different components or unique
| configurations. We anticipate this system will be purchased by Linux users
| for their family and friends over the holidays."

Modest new PC costs just $199

,----[ Quote ]
| I found the gPC and its gOS operating system easy to use.
| For example, just clicking anywhere on the open desktop brings up an
| equivalent to the Windows Start menu, and right-clicking gets you a menu of
| popular programs. I also like the Package Manager, a part of Ubuntu, which
| finds and easily installs dozens of free and open-source programs.

Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

,----[ Quote ]
| The gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for
| sale by a major retailer.

gPC - $199 C7 powered PC at Wal-Mart running gOS

,----[ Quote ]
| Now gOS the OS powering the gPC is a unique OS. While I said it is a
| customized version of Ubuntu, the word 'customized' is an understatement. gOS
| highlights and encourages users to use web applications instead of the
| traditional software for their day to day computing tasks.

gOS Unboxed: Should Microsoft Worry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's rivalry with Google heated up considerably this past year when
| rumors surfaced that Google might release its own operating system to compete
| with Windows. Has Google finally jumped into the fray with its own OS?

A short look at gOS

,----[ Quote ]
| So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
| Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
| 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
| 256MB of RAM, and started...

Gosh, gOS is good

,----[ Quote ]
| I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
| great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
| work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
| impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
| cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it.

ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

,----[ Quote ]
| Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
| gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
| of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too.

gOS-live 1.0 386

,----[ Quote ]