Re: [News] Antitrust: EU Commission ensures 2004 Decision compliance against Microsoft

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 09 December 2007 10:24 : \____

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/07/1567&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en
>>> or http://tinyurl.com/yqljzw
>>>
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> At least now it seems that we have at least EU to provide a
>>> protective eye against abuses
>>
>> No, Kroes blew it.
>>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3714211
>
> After looking at companies that opted for a Unix/Linux
> environment, I'd say that one was better off going with NFS than
> CIFS/SMB.  Then Microsoft interoperability is not an issue.
>
> It is time to chart a different course.  I think the City of
> Largo, Florida had the right idea of using thin clients.
> However, although meritorious several years ago for a government
> office, lets move to 2007.
>
> http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39291282,00.htm
>
> A Linux thin client for every child
> Andrew Donoghue ZDNet.co.uk
> Published: 05 Dec 2007 15:26 GMT
>
> [quote]
> They will be rolling out 180,000 student seats, of which 100,000
> are being done right now over a five-month period. They are going
> into high schools because those students are the closest to
> entering the workplace and they want them to be computer-
> literate. Next year 80,000 additional seats are being rolled out
> into primary schools.
>
> These 180,000 seats make up 50 percent of the students in the
> country because they don't have enough classrooms for all the
> students, so in essence half of the students go to school in the
> morning from 6am till noon, and the other half go from noon to
> 6pm. This way, 180,000 seats service nearly 40,000 students.
> [/quote]

The are pooling the resources. I love it. I stated this before in COLA, but a
nice thing to have would be a 'supercomputer' that has a strong,
high-bandwidth wireless signal. PCs can then connect using embedded cards
and 'borrow' CPU and memory from the 'supercomputer'. If some day in the
future the connection's throughput and reliability is high enough, you could
then do exploit a good analogy of 'multi-player' virtualisation. In fact, a
year+ ago, a Sun executive (IIRC) said that the world only needs (/will need)
6 powerful computers. Time will tell...

Web services are an interesting thing because you could use devices as only
input/output displays (a la X server) with a network connection, leaving
everything else for the servers to handle.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
Protocol)