[News] Zonbu Low-cost GNU/Linux Notebook Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] Zonbu Low-cost GNU/Linux Notebook Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:21:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ArsGeek reviews the Zonbu Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The price point, even after several years of subscription fees are taken into
| account is still fairly compelling. More so since you should theoretically
| not have to worry about any updates or maintenance to the machine. If
| something breaks it will be replaced. If software goes wrong you can revert
| to the factory default while still retaining all of your files. That in
| itself is a compelling reason to look seriously at Zonbu and their desktop
| and laptop solutions.
`----

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=3051

Related:

First Impressions: Real life with the Zonbu Laptop Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I give the Zonbu laptop an 8.5 out of 10.
|
| The major things holding it back are the need for better flash video
| performance and some key application updates as well as a rethink of the
| physical housing. These things will be addressed in the coming months and the
| device will become indispensible at the current price point.
|
| If you’re curious, the entry point is relatively low - order one. You won’t
| regret it.
`----

http://mrzonbu.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/first-impressions-real-life-with-the-zonbu-laptop/

Hands On: Zonbu's Data Syncing Linux Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The $279 Zonbu Notebook is the latest offering from the Open Source computer
| company—following up on the $99 Zonbu Desktop released earlier this year. The
| software is the same OS seen on the desktop, updated with a few new features
| such as real time data syncing. But the question remains: Does Zonbu find the
| sweet spot between solid performance and an entry level price?
|
| [...]
|
| Without the Zonbu Plan, the laptop will cost $479.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu-notebook/hands-on-zonbus-data-syncing-linux-notebook-327230.php

Zonbu GNU/Linux computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Zonbu is a very simple system. It is geared for users who may not necessarily
| care what operating system they are using, but someone who just wants a
| functional system. Zonbu does exactly that. The software is very
| straightforward to use. Zonbu is very environmentally friendly. Not only does
| it not require a lot of power to run, it also does not contribute to noise
| pollution.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/zonbu

$99 Zonbu Linux PC On Sale Today

,----[ Quote ]
| We've had our hands on these super-green Linux-and-Via powered babies for a
| little while, but now it's your turn. Even though the beta program is
| expected to run until September, Zonbu is confident that the hardware on 1.0
| is locked. That's why today, the company started selling the little box, but
| will cover the first three months of software support, technically a beta
| run, for free.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu/99-zonbu-linux-pc-on-sale-today-279478.php

Linux net PC prototype gains favorable review

,----[ Quote ]
| PC Magazine reviewer Patrick Norton likes the Zonbox's low power requirements
| and complement of pre-loaded software, which includes Skype, the Banshee
| music jukebox, OpenOffice, and Firefox. YouTube video playback and mp3
| ripping are less than perfect, he reports. However, the Zonbox uses only 11
| Watts to play DVDs (external USB DVD player required). It can output to a
| 720p high-definition TV with "no problems," Norton found.

Review: Zonbu, the $99 Linux Computer

| There's a lot to like about Zonbu, including its three-year replacement
| warranty. With your configuration information and all your data backed up in
| the Zonbu online storage space, when you plug in, you can restore your
| machine instantly. As an added plus, Zonbu is environmentally friendly; the
| company claims the computer uses a fraction of the electricity of a standard
| PC, which will cut down on your company's electricity costs.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/120653

Zonbu to Roll Out $99 Linux-Based Computer This Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a cheap computer on the way that undercuts them all, the $99
| Zonbu, due this summer in a silent-running form factor that's about
| the size of a paperback book.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheap-pc/zonbu-to-roll-out-99-linux+based-computer-this-summer-258177.php

Gizmodo get their hands on Zonbu's remote-storage Linux PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Gizmodo have been playing with a halfway solution, Zonbu?s $99
| Linux PC, which runs open-source software on a fanless 1.2MHz
| platform but utilises Amazon?s S3 storage servers to save your files.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/gizmodo-get-their-hands-on-zonbus-remote-storage-linux-pc-235408.php

Zonbu PC--the little, green rental machine

,----[ Quote  ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1042_3-6197110-1.html?part=rss&tag=6197110&subj=news