Re: [News] IBM Pressured to Open-Source OS/2

____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 21:07 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Should IBM's OS/2 Be Open-Sourced?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A group of die-hard OS/2 users are petitioning IBM?again?to release the
>> | operating system's source code as open-source. The question may not be
>> | whether IBM wants to do so... but if it can. Not, I expect, that IBM
>> | will actually say this out loud.
>> `----
>>
>> http://advice.cio.com/esther_schindler/should_ibms_os_2_be_open_sourced
>

> Open sourcing OS/2 under GPL will probably kill micoshaft in one fell swoop.
> There is no monetary benefit for IBM to hang on to that source code.

There are plenty of good components to be reused, surely. Just watch how IBM
got itself an office suite within a short period of time (OOo -> Symphony).
They now have plenty of engineers working further on the beta.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | No Makefile, no business