Re: Straw Poll - Corporate Vista Upgrades

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 07 December 2007 22:58 : \____

> Since the EU ruled against Microsoft, Microsoft has funded the
> overthrow of top officials in Germany, France, Great Britain, and
> possibly a few others.

Amid the recent OOXML corruptions that involve only Microsoft, I am aware of at
least 3 people who lost their job due to Microsoft pressure as well.

Also see:

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/3901

Gates blackmailed Danish gv’ment

"p2pnet.net News:- Microsoft boss Bill Gates threatened to kill 800 Danish jobs
if Denmark opposed the European Computer Implemented Inventions Directive,
reports today’s Danish financial daily Børsen, quoted by
NoSoftwarePatents.com."

[...]

"According to Børsen, last November Gates told Danish pm Anders Fogh and two
ministers that he’d kill all 800 jobs in Navision, a Danish company acquired
by Microsoft in 2002, unless the EU quickly decided to legalize software
patents through the directive."

You know, Gates is one of the worst criminals (in a suit/sweater). More at the
bottom.

Of interest to this thread:

A SAM Engagement With Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When a software publisher says it wants to help your company get a
| handle on SAM (Software Asset Management), you should be suspicious.
| But when the software publisher is Microsoft, you better head for
| the hills.
`----

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2006/12/22/11346/921

Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

,----[ Quote ]
| What if you want to keep your old operating systems, such as Windows
| 2000, running as long as possible?
|
| Microsoft isn't making it easy for you. Office 2007 and the software
| for the company's much-hyped Zune music player won't install on Windows
| 2000. As other new products emerge from Microsoft in 2007 and beyond,
| more and more of them are likely to leave Windows 2000 out of the party.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196700071

___

Microsoft Memories

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point in your presentation billg will say "that's the dumbest
| fucking idea I've heard since I've been at Microsoft."  He looks like
| he means it.  However, since you knew he was going to say this, you
| can't really let it faze you.  Moreover, you can't afford to look
| fazed; remember: he's a bully.
`----

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2007/05/microsoft_memor.html

Reminds me of some stories about Gates' personality. Among them (which I can
quickly find):

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=12

,----[ Quote ]
| In my BillG review meeting, the whole reporting hierarchy was there,
| along with their cousins, sisters, and aunts, and a person who came
| along from my team whose whole job during the meeting was to keep an
| accurate count of how many times Bill said the F word. The lower the
| f***-count, the better.
|
| [...]
|
| Four," announced the f*** counter, and everyone said, "wow, that's the
| lowest I can remember. Bill is getting mellow in his old age." He was,
| you know, 36.
|
| Later I had it explained to me. "Bill doesn't really want to review
| your spec, he just wants to make sure you've got it under control. His
| standard M.O. is to ask harder and harder questions until you admit that
| you don't know, and then he can yell at you for being unprepared. Nobody
| was really sure what happens if you answer the hardest question he can
| come up with because it's never happened before."

Scott Fulton:

"In 1994, Newsweek correspondent Michael Meyer sat in on a meeting of
Microsoft's key executives, including then-CEO Bill Gates, and product
managers who were discussing--while fully aware of Meyer's
presence--the lackluster performance of their personal accounting
software, called Microsoft Money, against a competitor, Intuit's
Quicken. (Later, Microsoft and Intuit announced a merger, which even
later fell apart.) In his 11 July 1994 article entitled, "Culture
Club," Meyer recounted his experiences in the boardroom: Then comes a
strange moment, the sort of thing that happens often at Microsoft,
which seemingly within moments turns disaster into salvation. Talk has
turned to broader trends in banking. Where's it going, what's in it
for us. Banks are dinosaurs, says Gates. We can "bypass" them. [The
Money product manager] is unhappy with an alliance involving a big
bank-card company. "Too slow." Instead he proposes a deal with a
small--and more easily controllable--check-clearing outfit. "Why don't
we buy them?" Gates asks, thinking bigger. It occurs to him that
people banking from home will cut checks using Microsoft's
software. Microsoft can then push all those transactions through its
new affiliate, taking a fee on every one. Abruptly, Gates sheds his
disappointment with Money. He's caught up in a vision of "the
transformation of the world financial system." It's a "pot of gold,"
he declares, pounding the conference table with his fists, triumphant
and hungry and wired. "Get me into that and goddam, we'll make so much
money!"  Here is Microsoft in action. In just three hours, it laid
plans to buy at least two companies, ditched an alliance with a major
financial institution, opted for another and made major moves into
"two incredible new worlds," as Gates put it--home banking and sports
entertainment. Another company might take months to accomplish as
much."

[...]

"In 1993, following its acquisition of DRI, Novell re-engineered DR-DOS
to become Novell DOS 7--a product which it promised would not only
serve as a cohesive network and desktop platform, but which would also
run Windows 3.1 without problems. At long last, the monkey on
Microsoft's back became too much for Chairman Bill Gates, who on 21
July wrote the following memo to his subordinates: Who at Microsoft
gets up every morning thinking about how to compete with these guys in
the short term -- specifically cut their revenue. Perhaps we need more
focus on this...After their behavior in this FTC investigation, I am
very keen on this.

Once again, Gates infuses his fellow executives and product managers
with a lofty vision of Microsoft as having carte blanche, on account
of its size, to set the rules for the industry, even if it means
teetering on the edge of implying that it's above the law. With Gates,
there is never a smoking gun. The job of providing the smoke is left
to others, such as Jim Allchin who, in an 18 September 1993 memo,
advised the following: Sentiment is against us. We can and MUST turn
this around. As we become more aggressive against Novell product and
marketing-wise, we must get our mouth in order. The press, etc. is
very sketical of us so one slip up and we get set back quite a ways."

[...]

"Bill Gates calls this mission "kicking them into the death spiral." Here's
how the death spiral works, paraphrased from Microsoft's own internal
documents: 1. Make agreements with the enemy that build an
interdependence between the enemy and us.

2. Generate uncertainty about our future course of action, to throw
the enemy off-track.

3. Propose a clear solution to the uncertainty that depends upon a
certain set of rules, and make it impossible for the enemy to turn you
down.

4. Change the rules so that the enemy is forced to live with its own
decisions, while we move to an entirely new world where the rules are
different and we own the territory.

The proposed final judgment before you now, presented by Microsoft and
the Justice Dept., is yet another clear example of the death spiral
methodology, this time applied to the American justice system. Just as
Novell was compelled to commit itself to a category of products that
appeared to have been rendered obsolete, and Netscape was compelled to
commit itself to offering for free a product that once generated
revenue and that had been rendered in most consumers' minds
unnecessary, the Justice Dept. and the District Court are being
compelled to accept a vision of Microsoft's conduct for the future
that is incompatible with Microsoft's own vision of the
future. Microsoft plans to change the rules, to pull the rug out from
under you, and move on to a new territory where it gets to make new
rules."

[...]

"Get me into that," Bill Gates is quoted as saying, "and goddam, we'll
make so much money!" The free flow of transportation was engineered by
geniuses--Henry Ford, John A. Roebling, Norman Bel Geddes--and
championed by presidents--Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight
Eisenhower. The free flow of ideas is one of the basic principles
upheld by the United States Constitution. Up to now, all successful
freedom has been constructed and established on solid principles. Are
we truly prepared to draw up a statement that speaks for all of us as
a people and a nation, that serves as a catalyst for the surrender of
the free flow of information not to an institution defined by
principles, but a corporation defined by deception?"

Philanthropist my arse! The guy is a greedy man who think he's a God to whom
laws do not apply.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
Mem:    515500k total,   444240k used,    71260k free,     3092k buffers