Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Thursday 06 December 2007 10:56 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> < snip >
>>
>>> With the GPL, you'll still have the code. But Novell opened a can of
>>> worms that hurts not only SUSE, but everyone else too -- software
>>> patents. Then there's Microsoft's 'pledge' (READ: shackles) for OpenSUSE
>>> developers.
>>>
>>> The Novell martionette will dance to the Microsoft music as long as it
>>> has impact in the community. Many SUSE developers have left and Novell
>>> seems more fascinated with .NET. It has to.
>>>

>> Certainly.
>> Mighty stuff you are smoking there. Please don't pass it on, it leads to
>> quite some hallucinations
>
> I can show you articles.

Certainly. I can show you some which say exactly the opposite

> Novell hired dozens of .NET programmers about 6 months ago (the ones
> I know about)

And? What exactly is wrong about that?
After all, they are doing this "interoperationability" thingy with MS.
And you know what: Even /if/ MS would not really want to, it *does* work to
some extend
And it would be even beneficial to linux. After all, customers like big
corporations don't care a tiny little bit for some "political" "freedom"
view of software. They want to see that it works, as seamlessly as
possible, across their range of platforms

Any GPL3 "pie in the sky" is only serving as a big roadblock
And Novell is the one linux company affected the least by GPL3, since any
licence change to hinder them retroactivly would be thrown out in any
court, should any FSF nimwit decide to sue them because of it

So they are the natural partner of MS to do exactly what they are doing. And
they certainly don't need your (or Mark Kents) approval to do so

> and Gartner (IIRC) said that many SUSE developers left
> after the deal (maybe quietly).

Big deal. Some developers are bound to leave at any given time
--
The early bird gets the worm.
The early worm ... gets eaten.