Re: BoycottNovell.com - Authorities take official action against lies from Roy Schestowitz and shut down the site.

Roy Schestowitz wrote
:
> ____/ ml2mst on Wednesday 05 December 2007 17:47 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> ____/ LENNY on Wednesday 05 December 2007 16:43 : \____

>>> Sadly for you, it's just the Slashdot effect. The server was being
>>> overwhelmed by too many simultaneous requests and things will be back to
>>> normal soon.

>> I thought it was defaced by the scum. Simply could not believe that
>> Boycottnovell's account was *actually* suspended. There just was
>> something too "fishy" about it :-p

> Technically, it's correct. The site was getting links from many sites at the
> same time and it brought the server to its knees. The host needed to 'isolate'
> the site, so to speak. Slashdot linked to a very CPU/bandwidth-intensive page
> (about 150-200KB per visitor, I'd guess and there's no caching). It's not
> about bandwidth as far as I know.

Conclusion it's popularity caused the trouble, sounds logical.

> The audiocast came at a very interesting time... just hours after Novell's
> nightmare scenario. The SEC is on their neck and I'm beginning to think that
> those massive layoffs are not just rumours. It's sad.

Wasn't the audiocast on linux.com. I'll check out if it's still available.

>> I became aware of it, because today we've had a "hot" discussion in the
>> Netherlands.
>>
>> All public services in my little country *must* migrate to Open Source
>> Software and Open file formats next year (2008). Now today a interview
>> of the Dutch Microsoft CEO was published on Webwereld.
>>
>> The title of the article is: Microsoft sick because of the Open action plan:
>>

> http://www.webwereld.nl/articles/48927/microsoft-ziek-van-actieplan-open-standaarden.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/yonuy6
>>
>> To shorten a long story: Microsoft NL is scared to death!
>>
>> This topic is overloaded with comments and guess what? The vast majority
>>   write: "Well I'm sick of Microsoft"!

> Didn't the Dutch call for a Vista boycott (a consumers group)?

Indeed it advised users to ether reinstall XP or GNU/Linux and
recommended Ubuntu.

>> I wanted to include some links to interesting articles I've read on
>> Boycott Novell.
>>
>> Because of course the OOXML massacre came into the discussion again. And
>> I can remember Boycott Novell holds a lot of interesting articles on the
>> subject.
>>
>> In the meantime our "beloved" Hadron has left a joyful message about BN
>> being down already. Exposing his true intentions for all to see in the
>> Ubuntu NG.
>>
>> Keep up the good work Shane and Roy!

> Well, if the conspiracy theorists think that BN.com was brought down by outside
> intervention, this can only hurt Novell more. It's a purely technical thing
> though, which is the result of interest, not backlash.

Not so surprising, after the *huge* article last Wednesday ;-)

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com