[News] Linux and Free Software Myths (and FUD) Debunked

  • Subject: [News] Linux and Free Software Myths (and FUD) Debunked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:18:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Blont of the day: My favorite FOSS development fallacy

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. FOSS development is dynamic. It’s not static, disconnected, or completely
| independent, specially if the “duplicating” projects occur in a bigger
| ecosystem, like KDE. The two projects might grow up to be two completely
| different projects, they might start to develop a common library or backend
| or might already be using one.
`----

http://jucato.org/blog/blont-of-the-day-my-favorite-foss-development-fallacy/

Related:

Five Myths About Open Sourcing Debunked

,----[ Quote ]
| Myth #1: Open Sourcing is a hobby
|
| Myth #2: No one uses stuff that is open sourced
|
| Myth #3: Open Source > Closed Source
|
| Myth #4: Open Sourcing Hates Corporations
|
| Myth #5: Open Sourcing Relates to Computers Only
`----

http://jstamant.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/five-myths-about-open-sourcing-debunked/

A Day Without Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is not a new trend. It's not a fad. It's everywhere, whether
| you recognize it or not. From the embedded Linux in new wireless routers
| to Firefox, the world's most popular open source browser, open source
| powers the Internet and countless other technologies.
`----

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-whurley/whurley/a-day-without-open-source

Linux Myth Busting

,----[ Gist ]
| Myth nr1. LINUX IS HARD TO INSTALL
|
| Myth nr2, LINUX HAS NO GOOD APPLICATIONS
|
| Myth nr3, I CAN'T PLAY GAMES UNDER LINUX
|
| Myth nr4, HARDWARE SUPPORT IS AWFULL UNDER LINUX
|
| Myth nr5, SECURITY UNDER LINUX IS STUPID I NEED TO BE ADMINISTRATOR
|
| Myth nr6, UPDATING LINUX IS HARD TO DO
|
| Myth nr7, WHY MUST I COMPILE A KERNEL FOR NEW HARDWARE????!!!!
`----

http://www.cyberwalker.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/2514/

Top 5 Linux and Windows myths

,----[ Ones that I found intersting ]
| ...Studies have shown that Linux is in fact MORE user friendly than
| windows, just people aren't used to it!
|
| ...Linux is getting more user friendly and supportive of hardware all the
| time, no-one can deny that. And although Microsoft have the influence
| to push them through a few mistakes, if a long chain continues it could
| well
| cause permenant damage - it would just take far longer because of their
| influence.
|
| ...And due to the ever increasing number of computers in poorerc
| ountries, Linux is gaining momentum.
`----

http://tt-blogs.com/comment.php?id=52

Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths