[News] Free/Open Source Software and GNU/Linux Penetrate IT Organisations

  • Subject: [News] Free/Open Source Software and GNU/Linux Penetrate IT Organisations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:04:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Welcome to the Open Source Zone

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is marching through the enterprise, with business class
| enterprise applications joining Linux at the heart of many IT organisations.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/open-source-business/news/index.cfm?newsid=6528
http://tinyurl.com/3ysogd

World's Largest P2P Media Distribution Provider Selects Zenoss

,----[ Quote ]
| Pando Chooses Zenoss to Manage Large-Scale Online Services Infrastructure
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=799841

Top Software Award won by J P Morgan and EMC Ltd

,----[ Quote ]
| The first Scottish Open Source Excellence Award has been presented to J P
| Morgan, and Enterprise Management Consulting Ltd. The Award was presented to
| the two joint winners by Simon Phipps, Chief Open Source Officer for Sun
| Microsystems.
`----

http://www.openpr.com/news/33414/Top-Software-Award-won-by-J-P-Morgan-and-EMC-Ltd.html

Related:

3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over again
|
| 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
|
| 3. The DRM is getting me down.
`----

http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_moments_in_vista_that_make_me_consider_linux

Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
| Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
| users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
| Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
| to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
| has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
| individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
| By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
| trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
| in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
| moving forward on this initiative."
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/01/pre-loaded-linux-increased-adoption/

Vista - Even The Experts Are Giving Up On It

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/02/28/vista-even-the-experts-are-giving-up-on-it/