[News] Review of the New (Beta) CNR from Linspire

  • Subject: [News] Review of the New (Beta) CNR from Linspire
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:56:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
One-Click Linux Software Installation!

,----[ Quote ]
| After months of hard work, Linspire is proud to announce the beta release of
| CNR.com. On the 23rd of January, 2007, Linspire announced for the first time
| that they are working to extend their CNR (Click 'N Run) website for other
| popular Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE and Debian.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/One-Click-Linux-Software-Installation-72843.shtml

Recent:

CNR beta brings software to the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| CNR can be used to find, install and update software for Debian and RPM-based
| Linux distributions that use the standard .deb and .rpm formats. The CRN
| repository aggregates open source software from various existing repositories
| to offer a wide, distribution-independent selection of open source software.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1921

Pioneer Linux 3.0.2 has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pioneer Explorer and Renegade offerings include the LinSpire CNR client
| preinstalled.                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| The current final release candidates all use KDE, which has a simpler
| interface for Windows users to transition to Pioneer. It is expected that
| Renegade will be released early next week with a Gnome interface to meet the
| community demand for a different interface. No decisions have been made as of
| yet to include the Gnome desktop as a Basic offering wrapped with support.
`----

http://linuxmini.blogspot.com/2007/11/technalign-inc.html

Related:

Linspire Needs to Drop OS, Focus Exclusively On CNR

,----[ Quote ]
| You have an opportunity here to keep to Linspire's original goal here, Larry.
| Make CNR the pivot factor that brings restricted codecs and software to Linux
| in an elective format through CNR. Purists will be appeased, since the distro
| itself is left alone by default and casual users will have the choice to
| expand on their Linux installation the way they see fit with CNR at the
| controls.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2651&Itemid=449

Revolutionizing CNR with OPIUM

,----[ Quote ]
| The results of our research were both surprising and exciting. We
| found that by treating the problem in an entirely different way to
| APT (the details of which I?ll leave to the paper, linked at the
| bottom of this letter) we were able to provide solutions to all
| of these problems. Perhaps even more valuably, we were able to
| quantify the benefits of fixing these problems and get a concrete
| idea of how often APT is wrong and what the cost is when it is.
`----

http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=46

Linspire CEO on opening up CNR: share the bread

,----[ Quote ]
| Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony says his company is opening up its CNR
| ("Click 'N Run") software download and management service to otherL
| inux distributions because "Linux really needs an easier way to
| find and install software, regardless of which flavor of Linux
| you're using."
|
| [...]
|
| According to Carmony, Linspire has been working on this project
| more more than a year.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS9961124197.html

CNR For all - Linspire Gives back, But Why?

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless of any suspicions people might have about Linspire's
| motives, this latest development with CNR can only be seen as a
| good thing for the future of Linux on the Desktop. Look out for
| CNR in the next few months, coming to a distribution near you,
| and be sure to check back here for a review as soon as it goes
| live on Debian.
`----

http://www.linuxforums.org/applications/cnr_for_all__linspire_gives_back,_but_why.html

Linspire Standardizes Software Installation Across Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_news_pressreleases_archives.php?id=212