Re: Goodbuy and thanks for all the fish

____/ BearItAll on Wednesday 05 December 2007 11:15 : \____

Will you still be on teh intranets? Good. :-) So there probably will never be a
goodbye.

> So ignoring MS in that area would be a terrible mistake, these silly OS wars
> we have now will become more and more insignificant as the years roll on
> until the time comes when people don't actually know what OS is running
> their applications, they shouldn't need to know.

"OS wars" is probably the wrong term to use. The OSes are tools. There is a
broader picture. There is a network and a system that is controlled by and
exists to serve the users. There are also networks on system that are there to
give Big Vendors control of people. As time goes by, the latter gets worse and
worse (censorship, remote death switches, tiered Web, pricey software,
spyware, forced upgrades, etc.). GNU/Linux, among other Free O/Ses, are tools
for you to ensure you can stay human, not some chicken in a coop. Preferring
one O/S over another in this case is not like being a fan of one football team
and not another. That would be Mac vs PC 'wars' (both companies are quite
vicious). Software can become a commodity, or at least the basic parts of it
can. We should take this for granted and ask questions like "we don't pay for
water, light, and air, so why pay for an operating platform and then be
knocked offline because some WGA server failed?"

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
 17:20:02 up 23:40,  3 users,  load average: 0.85, 0.84, 0.60