Re: [News] Novell's Microsoft Fan (and VP) Gives Support to Monopoly Enablement (OOXML)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:45:18 +0000
<1308124.KEFsSrZfKg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft starts rolling out more OOXML translators
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | During the XML 2007 interoperability panel ? sponsored by Microsoft and of
> | which Rajagopalan was a part ? the ongoing battles that have raged for the
> | past couple of years between Microsoft and the backers of ODF were a mere
> | sidenote.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1008

<rant mode="soapbox"> Gods, can't the webpages sort out
the encoding mode yet???  Granted, I think the issue here
is mostly Usenet's ASCII, but at least the paster (a Linux
browser) could have converted the em dash ('&#8212;' or
U+2014) into a hyphen instead of a question mark.  Not
that I expect IE to work any better, unless it just happens
to be pasting into Word.  </rant>

As for the formatting -- I'd have to study it.  I get the
feeling ODF is a hopeless mishmash of fonts, text, and
coloring, but it's in far better shape than the absolute
crud of OOXML ("oh, here it should behave just like
Word95!"); however, both will probably need to carefully
distinguish between data, presentation, and derivation,
at the very least.

Something along the lines of the combination XML, XSL, and CSS,
without such hacks as 'style="..."' and '<center>'.

I'm not hopeful.

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }