Re: [News] Microsoft Embraces GNU/Linux for Advertising Campaign

____/ Tattoo Vampire on Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:28 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Breaking: Newsvine Acquired By Microsoft — What is Microsoft going to do
>> with the Linux Hosted site they just bought?
>
> Why, they'll try to move all that stuff to their crappy server software and
> fsck it up royally. Shades of Hotmail... :-)

Published last week:

Windows Live Spaces racks up most downtime

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft was found floundering at the bottom of the list in a study of which
| social networking websites experienced the most downtime in the space of a
| month.
|
| Internet monitoring firm Pingdom tested the availability of the 12 largest
| social networking sites on the internet including Facebook, MySpace, Yahoo!
| 360, LiveJournal, Bebo and Windows Live Spaces (formerly MSN Spaces) from 19
| October to 19 November.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/22/social_networking_downtime/

Also see:

Microsoft adCenter Faces Four Days of Outage?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m not an active user of Microsoft’s adCenter, so I need your help with
| validating reports that the service has been offline for many users for the
| last four days.
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007/08/microsoft-adcenter-faces-four-days-of-outage.html

Linux versus Windows: OS impact on uptime and speed

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was ahead of Windows every week by more than 0.5%. For
| your understanding 0.5% downtime means 50 minutes per week, or
| 216 minutes or 3 hours 36 minutes per month.
`----

http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

Shining a LAMP on Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Uptime monitoring firm Pingdom has done a small survey of some of the
| most popular Web 2.0 sites on the Internet to see what is running under
| the hood that keeps the web sites going.
|
| The results are a fairly conclusive vote of confidence in the LAMP
| stack: six out of the seven businesses queried are running Linux and
| MySQL, five are using Apache, and five are using PHP.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/shining_a_lamp.html

Microsoft.com Goes Down

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft.com was showing a plain "MSCOM RENDERING PLACEHOLDER" for
| a couple of minutes just a few minutes ago. With the Symantec hack
| attack going on, is this an orchestrated attack?
`----

http://www.thecollegevoice.com/news/f6a54d18a92007823f9d55cc44b56abb

British businesses lose £1bn to email downtime

,----[ Quote ]
| An average small to medium-sized company in the UK suffers four
| e-failures (where email per incident is down for more than half a
| working day) per year.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2169146/email-downtime-proves-costly

NHS Direct all better

,----[ Quote ]
| NHS Direct is back online this afternoon after going on the sick
| with a server error earlier today.
|
| According to Netcraft, the Windows 2000 server at the bargain
| basement hypochondriac magnet modern, accessible public healthcare
| resource was rebooted today. See here.
|
| Whatever malady did for the box, it was "unexpected", as the message
| on the site explained for most of today.
|
| NHS Direct was unavailable for comment at time of writing.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/10/nhsdirect_back/

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/10/07/rackspace_most_reliable_hoster_in_september.html
http://en.uptime-project.net/page.php?page=toplist&content=toplist&orderby=uptime%20DESC&site=1
http://en.uptime-project.net/page.php?page=toplist&content=toplist&orderby=uptime%20DESC&site=2
http://en.uptime-project.net/page.php?page=toplist&content=toplist&orderby=uptime%20DESC&site=3

Linux provides solid uptime for automated hunting and fishing licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with the challenges, Edwards is completely happy with Linux. "There's no
| question. It's absolutely critical for us to make money. If we're down,
| there's penalties we get assessed by the state governments. We absolutely
| have to be up all the time. For the most part, we make that. We haven't had
| any issues with open source."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121606

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
 08:05:02 up 34 days, 12:03,  3 users,  load average: 1.39, 1.16, 1.36