[News] Ubuntu Developers Knocks the MPAA Offline for GPL Violation

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Developers Knocks the MPAA Offline for GPL Violation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 07:18:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MPAA Forced To Take Down University Toolkit

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu developer Matthew Garrett has succeeded in getting the MPAA to remove
| their 'University Toolkit' after claims it violated the GNU GPL. After
| several unsuccessful attempts to contact the MPAA directly, Garrett
| eventually emailed the group's ISP and the violating software was taken down.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/04/015229&from=rss

Check out this new, stunning Compiz-fusion plugin. Puts Vista to shame, as
usual (video):

,----[ Quote ]
| Break’n Ubuntu Desktop Effects  from fi5e on Vimeo.
`----

http://fffff.at/breakn-w-ubuntu-desktop-effects

Recent:

MPAA University 'Toolkit' Raises Privacy Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| First, an explanation of what the toolkit is and how it works. The University
| Toolkit is essentially an operating system (xubuntu) that you can boot up
| from a CD-ROM. The package bundles some powerful, open-source network
| monitoring tools, including "Snort," which captures detailed information
| about all traffic flowing across a network; as well as "ntop," a tool used to
| take data feeds from tools like Snort and display the data in more
| user-friendly graphics and charts.
`----

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/11/mpaa_university_toolkit_opens_1.html?nav=rss_blog

Thank you MPAA for the University Toolkit

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA toolkit is a series of programs designed to monitor a network for
| various protocols, that runs on ubuntu Linux. The download and install at
| this time is not limited to only .edu domains, although that is what it was
| intended for, so this tool just became a network monitors dream tool. If you
| want to monitor any network, DSL, Cable, anything this tool is for you.
`----

http://techwag.com/index.php/2007/11/23/thank-you-mpaa-for-the-university-toolkit/

Related:

RIAA Web Site Moved To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA has moved their main Web site www.riaa.com from IIS on
| Win2003 to Apache 2.2.3 on Red Hat.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/17/1910247&from=rss

MPAA Steals Code, Violates Linkware License

,----[ Quote ]
| A blogger who wrote his own blogging engine called Forest Blog
| recently noticed that none other than the MPAA was using his work,
| and had completely violated his linkware license by removing all
| links back to the Forest Blog site, and had not credited him in any way.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-steals-code-violates-linkware-license/

MPAA sues company for selling pre-loaded iPods

,----[ Quote ]
| The company, Load 'N Go Video is basically charging people to load
| movies onto iPods. Customers pay for the original DVDs, for the iPods
| and for the service of having them loaded. They even receive the
| original DVDs they've paid for. What's wrong then? Well, the MPAA
| isn't you or me, and their way of differentiating between right and
| wrong seems to focus on how much money they can make.
|
| The MPAA is claiming that the service Load 'N Go Video
| offers is completely illegal because ripping a DVD is against the
| DMCA. The MPAA is also suing the company for copyright violation.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-sues-company-for-selling-pre-loaded-ipods/
http://tinyurl.com/yfgzly

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

How Do You Find New Non-RIAA Music?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the general reaction to the RIAA in comments, I assume that there are a
| number of users that try not to buy from RIAA sources. What alternatives do
| you use - or more importantly - what methods do you use to discover
| alternative sources of music?
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/181242&from=rss

RIAA Opposes 'Fair Use' Bill