[News] [Rival] Microsoft Replaces Remore Switch with Nagware to Bring Vista Back to Life

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Replaces Remore Switch with Nagware to Bring Vista Back to Life
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 07:07:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
New Windows Genuine Advantage to roll out

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071204/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_windows_genuine_advantage

Funny headline. It sounds like a positive thing. Not so long ago, they disabled
their 'piracy' checks for IE7 because Firefox is eating away their market
share. They still need copyright infringers to stay relevant.

Related:

Windows Genuine Advantage's newest setting: "you might be a pirate"

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool is
| "optional," Microsoft is in the process of pushing out the tool
| as a "critical" and thus automatic update (affectionately dubbed
| WGA Notifications 1.7 KB905474). The update has been known about
| for over a month, but users are just now seeing it show up as a
| critical update to Windows XP.

"Piracy reduction can be a source of Windows revenue growth"

,----[ Quote ]
| It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to save up for two months to
| buy Vista, Steve. Really. You'd be willing to spend $150,000 of your
| money on Vista Basic, wouldn't you? I'm sure all you need to do is
| tighten those screws, and the giant Chinese turnip will start
| squirting sweet, sweet blood to sustain you.
`----

http://wilshipley.com/blog/2007/02/piracy-reduction-can-be-source-of.html

Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
| group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
| percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
| percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
| estimates, the last year for which data is available.
|
| [...]
|
| It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
| antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
| really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
| means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;7680622;fp;16;fpid;1

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html