[News] Linux Boots in About 40 Seconds, Vista Takes 3 Minutes 40 Seconds

  • Subject: [News] Linux Boots in About 40 Seconds, Vista Takes 3 Minutes 40 Seconds
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 04:12:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Startup times

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS 2007 (on my home laptop, a middle-of-the-road machine): 40 seconds
| Mandriva 2008: 40 seconds
| Xubuntu 7.10: 45 seconds
| openSUSE 10.3 (clean install, OSS/KDE): about 45 seconds
| Fedora 8: about 50 seconds (a huge improvement over the last few versions :-)
| Windows Vista: 3 minutes 45 seconds
| ...What?
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/12/startup-times.html

Recent:

Ubuntu vs. That Other OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
| time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
| it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
| takes 30 seconds more than what I’ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
`----

http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/11/ubuntu-vs-that-other-os/

Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to
| boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds.

Mach Boot: The live CD that supposedly boots in 10 seconds

,----[ Quote ]
| Mach Boot won't replace Knoppix, and it won't replace Puppy, DSL or NimbleX
| either. But it's a tool all its own, one that could be very useful with a
| little more development time.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/the_live_cd_that_supposedly_bo.html

Tiny WiFi-enabled Linux box boots in 1.1 seconds

,----[ Quote ]
| Technologic continues to reduce the boot time, price, and size of
| its embedded boards and systems targeting remote sensing and other
| power-critical applications. Its new $100 ARM9-based TS-7400 board can
| boot Linux in 1.1 seconds, and is available as part of a tiny
| WiFi-enabled system.

Flexible ARM9 SBC boots Linux in 1.69 seconds

,----[ Quote ]
| Technologic Systems is offering a freely downloadable, Debian-based Linux
| OS image said to boot from an SD card in less than two seconds, on the
| company's ARM9-based SBC (single-board computer).

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]