Re: Zune=DRM Roach Motel

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 03 December 2007 23:36 : \____

> <Quote>
> ...Microsoft intentionally and artificially broke compatibility
> between its existing PlaysForSure DRM and the new Zune DRM. That means
> users of existing music players with software designed by Microsoft
> can't use the music they've already bought with the Zune.
> Unsurprisingly, Zune users also can't use their points-purchased music
> with other devices from Creative or SanDisk which also use Microsoft's
> software.
>
> They also can't burn purchased music to CD with the same liberal use
> rights that Apple negotiated with the labels and studios. Microsoft
> has even shoehorned in a "piracy tax" into the Zune to pay off
> Universal, which is a disappointing trend for advocates of fair use
> rights in digital downloads.
>
> This leaves the Zune as a roach motel for purchased music, because
> Microsoft's DRM is designed to be impossibly difficult to remove.
> Microsoft has recently followed Apple in offering some DRM-free
> downloads, about a third of its library, and about half the number of
> DRM-free songs in iTunes. Microsoft's efforts seem to be more of a
> catch up, designed to check off feature lists rather than actually
> deliver a good product with complete, honest, and fair services.
> </Quote>

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/03/winter-2007-buyers-guide-microsoft-zune-8-vs-ipod-nano/

Microsoft and the Broken Window Theory of Economics

"In short form, a boy breaks a window and his father, the shop keeper, then has
to have it replaced. It is a given to the people looking on the scene that
this is good becuase it keeps the glazier employed in making windows."

http://pcburn.com/article.php?sid=1788

"So far there's no business case for digital preservation--in fact, for
software makers like Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.

"The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should become
obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade," Rose says. We could
be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the way businesses and their
customers think about digital preservation. "Things will start to change when
people start losing all of their personal photos," Rose said."

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix

/s/photos/music/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | http://debian.org
Cpu(s): 25.3%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.3%id,  4.0%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st