Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 03 December 2007 03:22 : \____

>> A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2 is
>> based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to believe).
>>
>> Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a lot
>> but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese
>> translations of the entire Linux kernel!!
>
> Actually, we use it in devices in Europe and North America more than
> many people realize, and that is only accelerating.  I currently
> have more requests for embedded consulting jobs than I have time to
> respond to.  While wages are stagnant in many sectors, they are on
> the way up in this particular niche.  My recent contract on the
> east coast is a result of that.  One of the head hunters I work with
> kept pitching me jobs from all over the country.  I kept telling
> him I was only interested in telecommuting or working closer to
> home.  Then he quoted me the rate this recent one was willing to pay
> and I answered with 'I can be on a plane next week.'
>
> Linux is REALLY cooking in the embedded space.  A lot of new
> products are in the pipeline, and that is having a positive
> spill-over in the desktop space as those vendors expand their
> pool of Linux programmers and support people.

Stop it, Thad, stop it please. You're getting the WinTrolls jealous. They'll
soon pretend to be your girlfriend again, only for the money,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community