Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

<posted & mailed>

____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 03 December 2007 00:30 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> <posted & mailed>
>>
>> ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 02 December 2007 18:46 : \____

>>> Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource
>>> what they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a
>>> doubt that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release
>>> it for public consumption.
>>
>> A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2
>> is based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to
>> believe).
>>
>> Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a
>> lot but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese
>> translations of the entire Linux kernel!!
>>

> Hmmm... if the PS2 is based on linux... where's the source code? This could
> be something interesting.

That's just what /I/ thought. Also, wouldn't that suggest that the next
iteration (PS3) inherits these POSIX roots? Anyway, I doubt the whole thing is
true. It'll be intresting to see over the next 5 years how many PS3 owners
will experiment with PS3 Linuxes, which will sooner or later have full access
to the graphics engine (out of the box), making it a full-blown Cell-based
personal computer (or rendering farm, or whatever).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
 01:20:01 up 33 days,  5:18,  3 users,  load average: 1.48, 1.38, 1.55