[News] AMD Groks GNU/Linux and Open Source

  • Subject: [News] AMD Groks GNU/Linux and Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:30:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD's John Bridgman on Radeon, Linux and Open Source 3D - Page 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Clearly it's a new day for Linux and Open Source in the ATI Radeon world.
| Beyond3D, intrigued by what's going on, asked to have a chat about it. AMD
| graciously provided John Bridgman of the Software Development Engineering
| Group, to answer our questions.
`----

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/interviews/43/

Related:

Novell, AMD sync up on SUSE Linux power management

,----[ Quote ]
| PowerNow! is a dashboard-based application that conserves power in
| AMD-based computers. The CPU's clock speed and VCore is automatically
| decreased when the computer is under low load or idle to save power
| and reduce heat.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1262301,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/39l3kz

AMD applies make-up to the face of its Linux Control Centre

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest Catalyst for Linux package on AMD's ATI/Linux support page at the
| time of this writing is version 8.38.6, a 51MB+ download released six days
| ago...

AMD reveals its future plans

,----[ Quote ]
| INQ "That brings the question of drivers. AMD has been a staunch supporter
| of Linux, while many users of ATI had a hay-ride with drivers for Linux
| operating system. Nvidia, as the prime competitor has support of Linux
| community, while every once a while we hear news about petitions to
| ATI, drivers not working as intended."
|
| Phil "AMD is driving the industry to an open world, and we focus our
| strengths and with combined approach, achieve what's best for
| development of the industry around us. All ISVs are important for us."

AMD Preparing For Another GPU Documentation Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Regarding the newly announced Radeon HD 3850 and HD 3870 graphics cards, the
| open-source RadeonHD driver should "just work" thanks to the AtomBIOS.
|
| [...]
|
| Another issue coming up when discussing the 3D plans for the open-source
| driver is whether they will target the current Mesa architecture or jump
| immediately on the Gallium3D bandwagon. For now, it looks like they will
| continue with the existing Mesa architecture.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=917&num=1

Open-Source Developers Speak Out About AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Daniel Stone had also mentioned that in less than ten hours of the
| specifications being available, GPU specifications were downloaded from the
| X.Org server over 70,000 times and ate up more than 1.3 terabytes of
| bandwidth!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=838&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

Power-efficiency test reveals respective strengths of AMD and Intel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/powerefficiency.html