Re: [News] Open Source Concept Applied to Robotics, Genetic Engineering, Media Distribution

Hadron wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz writes:
>
>> DIY Drones: An Open Source Hardware and Software Approach to Making
>> “Minimum UAVs”
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Every day, Moore’s law—technology getting cheaper, faster,
>> | better—brings more and more professional-quality robotics within
>> | the reach of amateurs. Over the past few decades we’ve seen this in
>> | wheeled, legged and other ground-based (“2D”) robotics. Now the
>> | same forces are starting to do the same for “3D” robotics,
>> | including underwater and aerial vehicles.
>> `----
>>
>> http://en.oreilly.com/et2008/public/schedule/detail/1607
>
> That's nice. I forget, which bluffer here was going to "get into
> Robotics" with the aim of "designing and building" a robot with "AI",
> possibly using "C" as the language to move it? Thinking about that kind
> of high level wishy washy "haven't a clue" project plan I guess it has
> to have been High Plains Rafael or BearItAll.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/autopilot/

[quote]
autopilot is a command and control system for helicopters (and can be
extended for fixed wing aircraft). It provides a three-axis EFIS and
moving map on the ground station. The unmanned aerial robot has
instrumentation for attitude, engine and position.
[/quote]

Download is available for Linux in C language.

High end:

[quote]
Debian Linux controls copter-like UAV
Apr. 02, 2007

Trek Aerospace used Debian Linux and open-source flight control software
to build an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) capable of vertical take-off and
landing (VTOL). The Oviwun weighs about six pounds, fits in a backpack,
and includes a GPS system that enables autonomous flight and position
control.
[/quote]

--
HPT