[News] [SOT] DRM Still Dying, Big Media Getting in Trouble (and Dying Also)

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] DRM Still Dying, Big Media Getting in Trouble (and Dying Also)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 05:01:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
DRM deathwatch: Sony, Wal-Mart

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Sony is reportedly considering offering its catalog as MP3s, joining
| EMI and Universal Music Group. That would make Warner Music the last holdout
| among the Big Four. I'm not sure how long Warner could hold out if it saw its
| competitors selling more digital files thanks to the universality of the MP3
| format.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9827363-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

UO suspects music industry of spying

,----[ Quote ]
| University officials say in court filings this week that the industry's
| investigative practices "probably" provided access to "confidential
| information unrelated to copyright infringement," such as computer passwords
| of students. But UO officials provided no proof of that charge.
`----

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/119648131113760.xml&coll=7

Universal Music CEO: Record industry can't tell when geeks are lying to us
about technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Universal Music's CEO Doug Morris did a Wired interview in which the
| 68-year-old man said that he didn't really understand technology, that the
| record industry couldn't respond to Napster in 1999 because it didn't even
| have the in-house expertise to figure out whether a technologist was lying or
| not...
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/11/27/universal-music-ceo.html

Related:

UK music store: DRM-free music outsells protected tunes four to one

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM-free music sells at a much higher rate online than protected music,
| according to UK-based digital music store 7 Digital. In fact, customers buy
| it four times as often as they do DRMed music.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071109-uk-music-store-drm-free-music-outsells-protected-tunes-4-to-1.html
http://tinyurl.com/22jhju

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]
| Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
| Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.

Music DRM 'dead by next summer'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's MP3, absolutely," 7Digital MD Ben Drury told us. "People understand
| that MP3 works everywhere - that isn't true for AAC and certainly not for
| WMA."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/08/drm_free_music_sales_up/

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]