[News] Microsoft Acknowledges That Linux Got it Right, Still Attempts to Fix Windows

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Acknowledges That Linux Got it Right, Still Attempts to Fix Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:10:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Partners: MinWin Could Soothe Vista Headaches

,----[ Quote ]
| Paul DeGroot of Directions on Microsoft, a Redmond, Wash.-based research
| firm, says Microsoft appears to be adopting a model very similar to the Linux
| approach.
|
| "That doesn't mean Microsoft is going open source, but the two approaches to
| OS development have always contrasted sharply," said DeGroot. "Linux has this
| lean, mean, kernel, protected by Linus Torvalds, who guards it like a
| three-headed dog. But outside of that, it's literally a free-for-all."
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/204400536

Windows is too 'fat' and unmaintainable and Microsoft knows it.

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten..."

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

Running Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit and 4GB Ram

,----[ Quote ]
| I then ordered 4GB (2 sticks of DDR667) of ram from Newegg.com. Everything
| arrived fine, I installed the ram which is very simple. With a D630 it
| involves talking off the keyboard to insert the first stick and then to
| install the second stick you just have to remove the back panel. I stuck in a
| Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit version and started the install. Everything
| went fine, Vista installed rather fast so I was really happy at this point.
| It rebooted after successful install, was loading into windows and then blue
| screened. I was devastated lol.
`----

http://brianleejackson.com/2007/10/21/vista-and-4gb-ram/

Testing Vista's different memory configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
| games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
| experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
|
| Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
| price performance buy.
|
| 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
| ^^^^^
| in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
|                                ^^^^^
| system will become endessly slow.
|                             ^^^^

Vista Runs Smooth Only on 2G Memory

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Dell CEO Kevin Rollins suggested otherwise on Thursday, 26 Oct at
| a speech at Shanghai's Jiaotong University. "I think they tell you maybe 1
| gig of memory is OK. No, two gigs of memory would be great."
|
| This echoes with my own experience with Vista RC2. With only 1G of
| RAM, there are many disk activities indicating heavy disk swap, a
| symptom of lack of memory in the system.
`----

http://www.itechnote.com/2006/10/27/vista-runs-smooth-only-on-2g-memory/

Vista System Memory Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista: Facing a Slow Adoption. In the beginning, early adopters and
| gamers who are looking to ready themselves for the DirectX 10 upgrade
| will be best suited for those ready to make an investment in the
| unknown.
|
| Considering how many software and game titles will likely need to
| be run in "compatibility mode" until patches are released across
| the board, I would suggest really looking at what Vista's advantages
| are before taking the plunge.
|
| No matter how much we may wish to see the path Vista is about to
| embark on, the fact remains that because of its hardware requirements,
| Vista adoption may turn out to be rather slow.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2395&Itemid=449

Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://bytepowered.org/articles/Article/Microsoft-Windows-Is-A-Greedy-Memory-Hog--The-Cure-Is-To-Feed-It-RAM/539
http://tinyurl.com/yn9ztx