[News] Proprietary Software Dinosaurs Spread FUD About value of Source Code

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software Dinosaurs Spread FUD About value of Source Code
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:19:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
There is value in source code, whether you want it or not

,----[ Quote ]
| A common question you hear from proprietary vendors when dismissing open
| source alternatives is “how many customers actually want access to the code
| anyway?” It is a question I put to an open source software vendor myself
| earlier this week while playing devil’s advocate.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of the former supporters were acquired, some fizzled out, and some lost
| interest. No doubt the same things will happen to come of the current
| supporters over time, while new supporters will emerge. Thanks to the code
| being open, the PostgreSQL project will carry on regardless.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/20/there-is-value-in-source-code-whether-you-want-it-or-not/

Related:

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s proposed change to state law would effectively render
| our current requirements for escrow and the ability for independent
| review of source code in the event of disputes completely meaningless
| - and with it the protections the public fought so hard for.
`----

http://nyvv.org/blog/bolipariblog.html

Police Blotter: Defendant wins breathalyzer source code

,----[ Quote ]
| What became central to the dispute was whether the source code was owned by
| the state or CMI, the maker of the Intoxilyzer.
|
| Minnesota's original bid proposal that CMI responded to says that "all right,
| title, and interest in all copyrightable material" that CMI creates as part
| of the contract "will be the property of the state." The bid proposal also
| says CMI must provide "information" to be used by "attorneys representing
| individuals charged with crimes in which a test with the proposed instrument
| is part of the evidence," which seems to include source code.
`----

http://news.com.com/Police+Blotter+DUI+defendant+wins+breathalyzer+source+code/2100-7348_3-6201632.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Secret Breathalyzer Software Finally Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| As I’ve indicated in previous posts, defense attorneys for years have been
| trying to discover the software source code used by manufacturers of various
| breathalyzer models.
`----

http://www.duiblog.com/2007/09/04/secret-breathalyzer-software-finally-revealed/

The Future of Elections: Open Source Voting

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2610