[News] Opera 9.25 Out, KDE Gets WebKit, IE8 Still in Sad Catch-up Mode

  • Subject: [News] Opera 9.25 Out, KDE Gets WebKit, IE8 Still in Sad Catch-up Mode
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:31:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[Opera] 9.25

,----[  Quote]
| We released 9.25 today, which mainly addresses a few security issues - it is
| a recommended upgrade for all those running the latest stable releases.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/12/19/9-25

KDE now has WebKit.

,----[ Quote ]
| Kubuntu’s KDE 4 LiveCD comes with WebKit-enabled Konqueror
|
| The current Kubuntu-KDE-4 LiveCD ships a Konqueror version which uses WebKit
| as the main HTML engine for Konqueror.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/kubuntus-kde-4-livecd-comes-with-webkit-enabled-konqueror/

Microsoft promises IE 8 Beta 1 with a smiley face in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| After a less than enthusiastic reception and take-up of IE7, 14 months after
| its release, is there any reason to think that IE8 will succeed where its
| predecessor failed in halting the meteoric rise of Firefox?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15869/1023/

They finally take standards more seriously (some day because of Opera's latest
lawsuit). They still forcefeed Windows users, diverting them to poor a browser
with proprietary 'extensions' (Office 'spewage', ActiveX, XAML to come).

Recent:

Opera files EU antitrust suit against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera Software has filed an antitrust suit against Microsoft in the European
| Union, accusing it of stifling competition by tying its Internet Explorer web
| browser to Windows.
|
| The complaint, which was filed by the Norwegian firm with the European
| Commission yesterday, says Microsoft is abusing its dominant position in the
| desktop PC market by offering only Internet Explorer as a standard part of
| Windows, and hindering interoperability by not following accepted standards
| with IE.
|
| Opera is asking the Commission, the executive branch of the European Union,
| to force Microsoft to unbundle IE from Windows, or include other browsers as
| a standard part of its operating system. It also wants it to require
| Microsoft to adhere to industry standards with its Web browser.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/legislation/news/index.cfm?newsid=6663

Related:

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

,----[ Quote ]