[News] [Rival] Apple Denies Its Problems, Then Fixes Them Quietly

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Denies Its Problems, Then Fixes Them Quietly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:17:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple fixes some flaky keyboard problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple appears to have denied that any problems existed with Leopard and its
| relationships to keyboards. Any hack who mentioned them would be immediately
| be collared by an Apple fan boy who would tell you that Windows keyboards
| were much worse. We have not heard of a Linux or Windows driver having these
| sorts of problems for a while, but they could be right.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/19/apple-fixes-keyboard-problems

Related:

Apple users: as far removed from Woz as possible

,----[ Quote ]
| It does not take much to get the Apple user community up in arms - just a
| mention that there may be a defect in Mac OS X is sufficient to invite abuse,
| ridicule and plain silliness as though there is even  one operating system in
| this world of ours which is perfect.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15782/1091/

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 vs OSX Leopard - Comparison Part 3

,----[ Quote ]
| In OS X the Dock performs similar functions to the Ubuntu panel. The OS X
| Dock can also be manipulated as in Ubuntu. The only obvious difference is the
| Dock has a reflective 3D look with the icons which can now be stacked and
| comes with applications and widgets which you would have to get separately in
| Ubuntu.
|
| So first off, if you want to make your Ubuntu experience into something more
| familiar you will need to get add-ons and customize a little.
`----

http://pcwizkid.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-710-vs-osx-leopard-comparison-part-3/

Review: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes on Mac OS X Leopard for the OS of the Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have a technological cage match involving two operating systems,
| both UNIX- based, both mature, both with passionate detractors and even more
| passionate defenders, and both released just a week apart. I'm talking, of
| course, about Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), with its final release on October
| 18, and Apple' s Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which was available for purchase on
| October 26.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4641/

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Moving From Mac to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Yikes, I am locked in.
|
| The one thing I learned from this, is I am currently locked into Apple stuff.
| I didn’t quite realize it until now though - it never really hit home. For
| example, if I moved back to Linux I would have no way of syncing my iPhone. I
| also have an Airport Extreme, and near as I can tell, I can’t edit any of the
| Airport settings from Linux. Let alone my iTunes purchases. Wow, I am toast.
|
| I always imagined I could just install Ubuntu on my Apple hardware if it ever
| got down to it, but it seems that it is not that easy. By the way, hats off
| to the open firmware guys and yaboot - I was impressed that Ubuntu actually
| could install on and support most Mac hardware.
|
| If you are running intel hardware, you are not likely in this same boat. You
| can probably use boot camp to easily dual boot or use vmware.
|
| My lesson learned here is - single vendor lock in is limiting on your
| personal maneuverability, no matter how cool the products seem to be. If the
| company you are hooked in with starts putting out stuff you don’t like, the
| economy takes a dump and you can’t afford their stuff, or you disagree with
| something, your options are limited.
|
| (Written on my Ubuntu Thinkpad T23 while I am installing Leopard for a third
| time on my Powerbook. Holding to the hope that the problems I am having were
| things I somehow did wrong.)
`----

http://robrohan.com/2007/12/10/moving-from-mac-to-ubuntu/

Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

,----[ Quote ]
| Before Apple makes any more smug OS-related attacks on Microsoft, it ought to
| take a good look in the mirror.

Apple's Xmas gift: wireless networking problems

,----[ Quote ]
| In October, the Apple faithful received the latest, greatest update to their
| much-vaunted operating system, Mac OS X. As with every other upgrade, it has
| a wonderful name: Leopard.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15705/1091/

10.5.1 Fixes Numerous Leopard Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| 10.5.1 also reportedly fixes problems in storing wireless network passwords
| and using Disk Utility, and it addresses five Mail flaws. A bug that resulted
| in "potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the
| Finder" has been corrected; this issue cropped up when using Command-drag to
| move, not copy, files in the Finder across local hard drives and mounted
| volumes.
`----

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9318

Massive Data Loss Bug in Leopard

,----[ Quote ]
| Aaaand … poof!
|
| The directory on our Desktop is now gone. The directory shown in the C$ mount
| will only contain files that were copied entirely before the connection was
| disrupted, but nothing more (in the demonstration case, there’s only one file
| in "test", so nothing was copied successfully).
|
| [...]
|
| Where’s the rest of our data?
|
| Apple, please FTFF already. This is unacceptable.
`----

http://tomkarpik.com/articles/massive-data-loss-bug-in-leopard/

Leopard early adopters suffer for the rest of us

,----[ Quote ]
| Mac OS X 10.5.1 will likely arrive around Thanksgiving with fixes for most of
| the problems encountered by the brave early adopters.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9809571-37.html

Some Leopard upgraders see 'blue screen of death'

,----[ Quote ]
| A significant number of Mac owners upgrading to Leopard on Friday reported
| that after installing the new operating system, their machines locked up,
| showing only an interminable -- and very Windows-like -- "blue screen of
| death."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9044378

New iMacs plagued by interface freezing issues

,----[ Quote ]
| A growing number of users have reported that Apple's aluminum all-in-one
| computers suffer from a flaw that locks up the interface, rendering the
| system all but inert until a reboot.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/new_imacs_plagued_by_interface_freezing_issues.html

Apple Arrogance Unleashed!