[News] European Governments Opening Up to Free Software

  • Subject: [News] European Governments Opening Up to Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:04:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Differences between European and U.S. adoption of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Throughout Europe governments lead the adoption of open-source software, and
| Alfresco has been widely adopted by governments throughout Europe. In my
| experience, government IT workers (especially in Europe) tend to buy into the
| ideals of open source more fully than their private-sector counterparts.
| They're looking for open platforms upon which the vendor and buyer can
| collaborate. They trust the GPL and seek out its obligations.
|
| This is somewhat less true of North America, where most open-source adoption
| is driven by enterprises seeking to lower costs and maximize innovation.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9835653-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Microsoft could face €1.8 billion EC antitrust fine

,----[ Quote ]
| It also appealed against the Commission's demands that it make the protocols
| available to open-source software developers.
|
| However, in light of the agreement reached between Microsoft CEO Steve
| Ballmer and Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes on Monday, these appeals
| became redundant.
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=19483&pagtype=allchandate

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht,
| will tell the Open Ireland conference in Dublin that the spend in the
| US on free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) stands at 36bn
| Euros and accounts for 20pc of software spend in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]