[News] The Linux-based Eee PC Too Tough to Find in the United Kingdom Due to High Demand

  • Subject: [News] The Linux-based Eee PC Too Tough to Find in the United Kingdom Due to High Demand
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:12:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asus Eee PC as 'hard to get your hands on as a Wii'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus' elfin Eee PC is coming to Japan and it's going to get 16GB of
| solid-state storage, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, in the UK availability
| has reached Wii-like limits, according to insiders.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/18/eee_pc_wii_japan/

More new devices that support GNU/Linux:

        Internet security appliance runs Linux

        Tiny X86 module runs Linux

Asus Eee PC doing well

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that this holiday season the gPC is not the only mainstream Linux
| PC to get a lot of attention. The Asus Eee PC, a $400 laptop that runs a
| basic version of Linux, is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, where it has
| received a 4.5/5 user rating at both places.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/11/24/asus-eee-pc-doing-well/

The Asus Eee Laptop Series Selling Off the Shelves World Wide

,----[ Quote ]
| The sturdy and light weight Asus Eee has captured the hearts and minds of US
| consumers, students and educators. The Eee series has all the features of its
| competitors, but its affordable price is turning heads. The Eee units are
| literally selling off the shelves world-wide.
|
| [...]
|
| The popular Eee is not without its critics. IT Wire reports that Asus Eee may
| have misrepresented the Linux loaded capabilities. According to IT Wire, some
| Linux advocates say the Eee uses Xandros a Debian-based distribution that
| charges a license fee and has an agreement with Microsoft similar to the one
| signed by Novell.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news115288648.html

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

First Impressions of the Eee PC Laptop from a Public Library Point of View

,----[ Quote ]
| This laptop changes the rules of the game. It brings portable computing power
| within the financial reach of millions more people. This laptop brings hope
| and expands the world of possibilities.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/12/first_impressio.html

Review: Asus Eee laptop PC