[News] Ubuntu Linux Receives Praises from the O/S-agnostic, Laptop Magazine

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Linux Receives Praises from the O/S-agnostic, Laptop Magazine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:57:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SUMMARY: More progress towards a true Windows alternative.

,----[ Quote ]
| I have no problem installing Ubuntu 7.1 for my wife - she is not a power user
| and her PC interaction is limited to email, some word processing and the
| internet. This may sound counter-intuitive ("Isn't Linux for Geeks?"), but
| not really - Ubuntu is a self-contained OS suite with enabling software that
| is stable, easy to use and more secure than Windows.
|
| Many of you whose friends rely on you for PC advice and installs might want
| to check Ubuntu out for "sedate" PC users - could be more trouble-free than
| Windows.
`----

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1497/

Ubuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| This upgrade is a solid alternative to Windows. Ubuntu 7.10 does most common
| tasks just as well as a Windows-powered PC, but for anything trickier,
| results will vary. Most laptop Windows veterans will want to try Ubuntu from
| a CD or a dual-boot configuration before committing to this powerful,
| friendly, but still pretty geeky flavor of Linux.
`----

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Ubuntu-7.10.htm

Some very high-status publication gives the thumbs-up to GNU/Linux.

Related:

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been one of those months! My computer crashed taking with it crucial
| XP system files. This is the 3rd crash in the last year and I've finally
| had enough with the Windows operating system!
`----

http://www.richtam123.com/wp/?p=20

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
|
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.
`----

http://www.otezz.net/windows-vista-the-best-thing-that-ever-happened-to-linux/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/072507-linux-microsoft-gains.html?page=3