Re: Another Reason to Do All Banking with GNU/Linux (or Live Linux CD)

____/ peterwn on Tuesday 18 December 2007 10:02 : \____

> On Dec 18, 9:05 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> NZ banks demand a peek at customer PCs in fraud cases
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The code also adds: "We reserve the right to request access to your
>> | computer or device in order to verify that you have taken all reasonable
>> | steps to protect your computer or device and safeguard your secure
>> | information in accordance with this code.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBas...
>>

> There has been a backdown by the NZ banks concerning internet banking
> conditions from their original stance that placed the onus for fraud
> very much on the customer.  The chief of a minor bank told a
> shareholders association meeting that ordinary fraud was a far bigger
> problem than internet fraud. and that the level of internet banking
> fraud was tolerable.
>
> IMO the best stance the banks can take is customer education together
> with a reasonable sort of two factor identification.
>
> I personally use Linux for internet banking with a dedicated userid
> and password so any contamination of ordinary userspace does not
> compromise security when doing internet banking.

About a month ago, Groklaw suggested having fast lanes for those who use secure
O/Ses.

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Spread Mozilla Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
 13:20:01 up 8 days,  2:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.38, 1.10, 1.08