[News] Sun's Solaris/Linux Containers and Microsoft Shenanigans Arrive at Australia

  • Subject: [News] Sun's Solaris/Linux Containers and Microsoft Shenanigans Arrive at Australia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:01:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Shipping news: Sun's Blackbox arrives in Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| The Blackbox can be configured to hold up to 250 Sun Fire servers or up to
| 3PB worth of storage. A single Blackbox can house 700 CPUs, hold up to 2,000
| cores and provide 18,000 simultaneous processing threads, the company says.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=532446513&rid=-50

Advisory group for meeting on Open XML Standard

,----[ Quote ]
| In September 2007, the European Computer Manufacturers' Association (ECMA)
| 376 Open Office XML specification was not approved as an international
| standard when voted on by members of the international standards joint
| technical committee No 1 (JTC1). Standards New Zealand, as a member of JTC1
| with the responsibility to vote on behalf of New Zealand, voted against
| adopting the specification as an international standard.
`----

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0712/S00035.htm

Initial report from OOXML technical and legal workshop last week

http://pipka.org/blog/2007/12/18/initial-report-from-ooxml-technical-and-legal-workshop-last-week/

Microsoft's shill, Rick Jelliffe, was there also.

Related:

Microsoft Hires Programmer [Rick Jelliffe] to edit [Corrupt] Wikipedia Entry
For OOXML

OSIA takes issue with OOXML, lobbies Standards Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Opposition to the endorsement of the program comes on top of the suspected
| stacking by Microsoft of a variety of standards bodies in order to get OOXML
| approved as the ISO standard. "This was not part of OSIA's submission and is
| not anything OSIA has direct knowledge of", said Scott. "However, there are a
| number of people who assert that Microsoft is doing as you suggest", he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=562760212&rid=-50

Report from Australia - the OOXML Forum

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd say things look grim in Australia, but it's not too late to express
| yourself to Australia Standards. The public is encouraged to continue to send
| comments until August 21.

NZ rejects Microsoft OOXML, Sweden confused

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/NZ-rejects-Microsoft-OOXML-Sweden-confused/0,339028227,339281682,00.htm