[News] GTK Harnesses the GPU's Power, New GIMP Released

  • Subject: [News] GTK Harnesses the GPU's Power, New GIMP Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 03:58:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Doing it with style: bringing more bling to GTK with OpenGL

| Müller is currently developing the GDM Face Browser, a new login manager for
| Ubuntu that will include enhanced visual effects and smoothly animated
| transitions. To implement the face browser, he will need to be able to
| seamlessly combine OpenGL and conventional GTK widgets. Existing canvas
| libraries like Pigment and Clutter are certainly robust options for OpenGL
| development, but they do not offer support for the kind of integration that
| he envisions.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071217-bringing-more-bling-to-gtk-with-opengl.html

GIMP 2.4.3 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.3 is another bug-fix release in the stable 2.4 series.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/22760

Related and recent:

GNOME theme engine designer adds transparency to GTK

,----[ Quote ]
| The work that Cimitan has done with the Murrine theme engine since its
| initial creation often demonstrates the power and flexibility of the GTK
| widget toolkit. The Murrine theme engine offers advanced features like
| striped scrollbars and rich gradients. Cimitan says that the addition of
| translucency effects proves that critics of GTK are wrong.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/12/gnome-theme-engine-designer-adds-transparency-to-gtk
http://tinyurl.com/ywute3

Related:

GIMP 2.4.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is so new that their website hasn't been updated yet, but if you
| check out the GIMP FTP it is available for download as of October 23.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjE0OQ

Web designing with Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As a freelance web designer, I really thought migrating to Ubuntu Linux will
| give me a really hard time. I never thought that Ubuntu Linux has a very good
| graphic design tool that can do what I am doing with Photoshop. Although Gimp
| is still way too different with Photoshop, I still see Gimp as a very
| powerful tool in graphic and web designing. It also possess features that
| Photoshop has.
`----

http://pinoy-blog.isoftinno.com/2007/10/23/web-designing-with-ubuntu/

GIMP tricks: Snooker ball as a pseudo 3d object

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t really remeber when and where, but once I have read that GIMP isn’t
| suitable for pseudo 3D graphics. Nothing more fallible! I will try to prove
| it wrong.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/graphics/gimp-tricks-snooker-ball-as-a-pseudo-3d-object/

GIMP 2.4.0 Comes Closer To Release

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is coming soon and as a sign of that, the third release candidate
| for GIMP 2.4.0 is now available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA3NQ

GIMP UI brainstorm