[News] The Linux-based Eee PC Keeps Receiving Good Reviews

  • Subject: [News] The Linux-based Eee PC Keeps Receiving Good Reviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 03:45:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First Impressions of the Eee PC Laptop from a Public Library Point of View

,----[ Quote ]
| This laptop changes the rules of the game. It brings portable computing power
| within the financial reach of millions more people. This laptop brings hope
| and expands the world of possibilities.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/12/first_impressio.html

Review: Asus Eee laptop PC

,----[ Quote ]
| In all then, the Eee PC looks set to transform the world of mobile computing.
| It offers the most usable interface we’ve seen so far on a device of this
| size, is portable enough to take with you everywhere you go, and costs half
| the price of a traditional budget laptop. What’s not to like?
`----

http://www.absolutegadget.com/20071216984/reviews/mobile-computing/review-asus-eee-laptop-pc.html

Related:

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Where does Linux go from here?

,----[ Quote ]
`----