[News] Another Linux Advancement with HTML5 Video Support

  • Subject: [News] Another Linux Advancement with HTML5 Video Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:11:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GStreamer brings HTML5 video support to GTK/WebKit

,----[ Quote ]
| The GTK/WebKit port appears to be maturing rapidly and offers some unique
| advantages over Firefox's Gecko rendering engine in certain contexts.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/html5-video-support-in-gtkwebkit

Related:

Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox and Opera will support a new HTML tag specifically for embedding
| video in Web pages. As long as the browsers support a video's specific codec,
| or encoding method, the browsers will then be able to play the video without
| launching third-party enabling software, said Chris Double, a Mozilla
| engineer. Mozilla and Opera are also working to support the royalty-free
| video codec Ogg Theora.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93898

Does your browser do video?

| One of the many great features it sports, which will be of interest to free
| formats enthusiastics, is the multimedia elements: <video> and <audio>.
| Imagine being able to post video and audio in your blog as easily as you do
| with images. On forums, on online shops, on office intranets, on anything. It
| really has the potentional to revolutionize the Web. No more Flash, no more
| YouTube. Independence! And all of this using Vorbis and Theora as the
| baseline codecs!
`----

http://spreadopenmedia.org/2007/11/18/does-your-browser-do-video/

Opera Browser and Ogg Theora in HTML5 specs

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an interview I made with the Opera CTO Hakon Wium Lie at the
| Reboot 9.0 Web 2.0 conference in Copenhagen. He shows the OLPC XO beta-1 in
| the direct sunlight and explains several things about the Opera browser
| software running smoothly on it...
`----

http://olpc.tv/2007/06/01/opera-browser-and-ogg-theora-in-html5-specs/

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html