Re: Wrong again, Roy (was Re: [News] Linux-ready PS3 Becomes a Big Hit and Sells Over 10 Million Units)

____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 17 December 2007 03:38 : \____

> On Dec 15, 8:24 pm, Kier <val...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:40:40 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:
>> > Total worldside sails of PS3 are just over 7 million, not the 10
>> > million you claim in the subject line.

>> > The price cut gave a short burst, and then sales fell back.  Here are
>> > the weekly Japanese sales for Wii and PS3 for the last 8 weeks.
>>
>> >     Week Ending         PS3         Wii
>>
>> >     Oct 21              14856       28106
>> >     Oct 28              17740       31407
>> >     Nov 04              17051       39505
>> >     Nov 11              57081       34947
>> >     Nov 18              47011       35793
>> >     Nov 25              55368       50934
>> >     Dec 02              39827       73246
>> >     Dec 09              36539      115762
>>
>> > The PS3 price cut gave it a nice boost for the weeks ending Nov 11 and
>> > 18, and then the boost from that started rapidly falling.  Note that by
>> > Nov 25, the general holiday pickup is happening, so that 55k for the PS3
>> > is a mix of the fading boost from the price cut and the rising sales
>> > from the holiday boost.  By the next week, it looks like the price cut
>> > boost is gone, and it is just the holiday boost, leaving the PS3 back in
>> > its customary space far far behind Wii.
>>
>> I believe the Wii would be selling even better if they could make enough
>> of them, from what I've heard. They can't keep up with demand.
>>
>> --
>> Kier
>
> Sounds more like Nintendo's pulling one of their old strategies :
> artificial shortages. They were VERY notorious for doing that in the
> NES days (especially from 1986-1990).

Microsoft does that all the time. I don't know if Sony faked it, but based on
the reports that were specific (naming components), it was real last year.

Previously-unsurpassed exposure makes carnation-faced men
         run-level 2  2007-12-10 11:12                   last=