[News] Vendor Explains Choice of GNU/Linux and Free Software for SaaS

  • Subject: [News] Vendor Explains Choice of GNU/Linux and Free Software for SaaS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:06:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
PLM vendor says SAAS and OSS are a natural together

,----[ Quote ]
| The production network runs on Red Hat servers, and Larkin takes advantage of
| tools like WebSphere CE application server, Nagios for system monitoring, and
| Snort for intrusion detection.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122792

Related:

Open APIs versus open source

,----[ Quote ]
| APIs, alone, only get you so far with third-party developers, as Juergen
| notes: "Some contributers just want to get into the guts of the system,
| contributing on much deeper levels than just the APIs. In that case, well
| designed and
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9764834-16.html

Is SaaS legitimate open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| So today’s question is this. Is the Web evolving too fast for the licenses?
| Can licenses catch up to deal with the demands of an online world? Or will
| Web 2.0, based on open source software, remain in effect “proprietary.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1349

Is Google Becoming An Enemy To Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, Google will pick its shots when it comes to open source. In other
| words, Google will toggle between open source friend and foe based on its own
| interests.
`----

http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/45236

My Tongue-Lashing from Eben Moglen

,----[ Quote ]
| He made a strong statement about why the Free Software Foundation ultimately
| chose not to close the "SaaS loophole" in GPLv3...
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/my_tonguelashin.html

Open Source is no Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]