[News] New Zealand's Free Software Preference Makes the News

  • Subject: [News] New Zealand's Free Software Preference Makes the News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:49:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
NZ Ministry of Justice: We want open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Ministry for Justice believes that open source software is a
| more stable, supportable, and cost-effective choice compared to proprietary
| solutions.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/NZ-Ministry-of-Justice-We-want-open-source/0,130061733,339284547,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/36zgr7

Lots of examples below. Microsoft will lose New Zealand as quickly as it loses
Europe.

Related:

How2 ... get free software

,----[ Quote ]
| About 4% use Apple's OS and the rest run some form of Linux or
| other "alternative" system. I'm not about to get into a dissing contest over
| the pros and cons of each; Linux users have a pat answer for whatever
| argument you throw at them.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4319987a11275.html

NZ Ministry of Justice Open Source Position Paper [PDF]

,----[ Quote ]
| Industry standards may not be open (e.g., Microsoft Word file formats) so
| there are reverse-engineering risks with any OSS dependent upon those
| standards. The MoJ preference for open standards (e.g., Open Document Format,
| which is now supported even by Microsoft) lessens this risk.
`----

http://nzoss.org.nz/system/files/moj_oss_strategy_1.0.pdf

Ministry of Justice, Open Source discussion paper

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/4231

Open source is a viable option, says the SSC

,----[ Quote ]
| The SSC's ICT branch picked up an award in the government category of the
| inaugural New Zealand Open Source Awards
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/30E7D1CD947D73ABCC25737F00834E88

Chris Cormack Wins New Zealand Award for Koha Leadership

,----[ Quote ]
| LibLime announced today that Chris Cormack, VP of Research and Development
| for LibLime, has won the Open Source Contributor Award at the first ever New
| Zealand Open Source Awards.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10160.html

New Zealand Launches Wiki To Help Citizens Draft New Law

,----[ Quote ]
| The wiki site is similar to a whiteboard which is open to anyone who want to
| post their views, Superintendent Hamish McCardle, office in charge of the
| review, told the BBC.
`----

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008642855

Forum: Revisiting our national IP opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week I noticed that a commentor on the New Zealand Open Source Society
| took issue with the suggestion “GrAnt05s” (sometimes I could hate the
| internet) argues that while my idea may have some immediate appeal “it is
| likely to have some serious unintended consequences”.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/E999B03CF115905ACC257356000AEFD3

Open XML proposal gets thumbs-down

,----[ Quote ]
| “After considerable discussion and input from key New Zealand stakeholders, a
| large number of whom opposed publication of the document as an international
| Standard in its current form, the Standards Council have concluded that the
| best vote for New Zealand is ‘no’,” says Grant Thomas, chief operating
| officer at Standards New Zealand.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/08A7B165747139B1CC25734700070796

Open source firm reaps Google benefits

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Magnusson hopes SilverStripe will help pave the way for other New Zealand
| open source software firms to take part in Google's summer of code.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4145849a28.html

Christie elected to head Open Source in NZ

,----[ Quote ]
| A director of development company Catalyst, Don Christie, has been elected
| as president of the New Zealand Open Source Society.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/F458780C0ABE307ECC257305000A5400

School software stoush shows changing times

,----[ Quote ]
| The extraordinarily well briefed interviewer, Kathryn Ryan,
| managed to extract the admission that if Le Sueur's school were
| given the opportunity to manage software purchases themselves
| they would probably not buy Microsoft software.
|
| [...]
|
| It is worth noting that the One Laptop Per Child initiative is producing
| complete children's laptops - including software - for a similar sum.
|
| [...]
|
| On a grander scale IBM, having learnt the hard way about change, has been
| right behind open source software, and particularly the Linux operating
| system since about 1999.
|
| [...]
|
| The important thing to teach is the skills. Saying they won't be able to
| use Windows if they learn on open source is like saying they won't be able
| to write with a pen if they learn on pencils.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4082853a28.html

A good reason to go open source at school

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe Edubuntu is an option for New Zealand schools.
|
| Something like that, with Open Office as the main productivity tool
| has to be able to do what most kids need anyway. Keep some Macs and
| Windows PCs in each school to run those programs that require them
| ie: Encarta, Microsoft Student or third-party Windows-only programs.
| With a lot of schools using open source software, an IT service
| industry will emerge to support those schools that have made the
| switch. They may even get better support as a result.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/blog/story.cfm?c_id=1501198&objectid=10442422

IBM System i hangs on in NZ e-govt

,----[ Quote ]
| He adds that the SSC is using older-generation Intel cards
| inside its existing i810 and using 32-bit Linux rather than
| the 64-bit Linux the platform supports natively.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8D60A4A7144138DFCC2572E6000DB7F1

Copyright law reinforces monopoly, Open Source Society warns MPs

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Open Source Society is opposing those parts of the
| Copyright Amendment Bill that would make it illegal to circumvent
| technological protection of copyright.
|
| The society argued, before a parliamentary committee, that such measures
| would reinforce Microsoft's market power.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/DFF5E36288E85D11CC2572DA00352758

Open Source rising in N.Z. education

,----[ Quote ]
| On staff we have people who contribute to a variety of different open
| source projects, both through work and on their own time. It's not
| unusual for a lunchtime curry to end up in a fierce argument about
| the merits of different version control systems, window managers,
| distributions of GNU/Linux, different Open Source licenses, and of
| course, emacs vs vim. As we interview potential staff members, it's
| not unusual to ask them to fix a bug on an Open Source project, and
| submit a patch for review. And of course, when we hire new staff,
| they arrive on their first day to an Ubuntu workstation.
`----

http://www.opensourcereporter.net/nzedu.html

US open source-based company takes on Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| US-based EnterpriseDB will open an office in Sydney partly to service
| the New Zealand market and its one local reference site, the Inland
| Revenue Department.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/B88D0868D9A1F4EDCC2572AE001A180E

Standards NZ disappointed at Open XML fast-track

,----[ Quote ]
| Standards New Zealand is disappointed at the go-ahead given to
| fast-track consideration of Microsoft's Open XML data format as
| an ISO standard.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5CB3B2EB34E54949CC2572A7001114D2

NZ objects to Microsoft Open XML standard fast-track proposal

,----[ Overview ]
| Standards New Zealand, our representative organisation in dealings
| with the ISO, objects on the grounds that Open Document has
| already been approved
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/82AF97DEBBAFD057CC2572990006C14C

One laptop per child

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO is now being sold for $150, which is expected to drop soon to
| $100, but I was still thinking that it sounded a bit pricey for the
| developing world. I saw a comment online to the effect that that
| isn't much at all, when you consider that you're not going to have
| to print expensive text books for its young owners.
|
| Instead, the materials the children need can be cheaply loaded
| onto their laptops and written work can be transmitted to the
| teacher for marking, without the need for any paper. Makes sense
| to me.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechHome&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=3722631

Charities' Microsoft decision riles open source group

,----[ Quote ]
| Late last year, the Charities Commission, established to develop a
| formal register of charitable organisations, went to tender for
| service providers to implement a Microsoft-based online
| registration system. However, the decision to use Microsoft's
| software was never put to tender.
|
| [...]
|
| Harrison says taking registrations for charities would be equally easy in
| either Microsoft or open source technologies.
|
| "In fact, Apache has a better than 60% market share in web servers, so it
| seems unusual that the recommendation of a consultant would eliminate a
| majority market player from the project,? Harrison says.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/2DDACAC8F60F0EFCCC25726F000A64BA

Red Hat restructures A/NZ channel

,----[ Quote ]
| "Currently, a large number of businesses in A/NZ are using or porting
| to Linux, reinforcing the enormous opportunities to develop certified
| products on Linux. As the market leader, Red Hat is 100 percent
| dedicated to bringing compelling open source solutions and support
| to the market," he said.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=71980

Open-source database elected to update Kiwi voters

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/072965C09248DA04CC257268000C6C7F