[News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML Funny Business is No Longer Funny

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML Funny Business is No Longer Funny
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:37:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
When do National Bodies get to change a vote on MSOOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| I read that as saying that delegates attend the meeting, and then they go
| home and talk things over as a group, and if the group decides it wishes to
| change its country's vote, it has 30 days to do so.
|
| However, if you visit ISO/IEC's JTC 1/SC 34 - Document Description and
| Processing Languages page, it seems to say a country can change its vote at
| the meeting itself. And later wording in the FAQ seems to confirm that
| understanding, as I'll show you. But we're also hearing that there may not be
| room for everyone to fit into the room booked for the meeting. So, I'm seeing
| a potential for some gaming of the rules.

This was done before! Microsoft lied.

Review of ECMA OOXML Responses

,----[ Quote ]
| At this stage of the ISO process the NZOSS would like to invite any
| technically and legally minded people in the free and open source communities
| to review ECMA responses: to New Zealand comments or to comments that might
| affect New Zealand interests.
`----

http://nzoss.org.nz/news/2007/review-ecma-ooxml-responses

Opening Plenary

,----[ Quote ]
| ...The meeting was well attended, both by (what might be called) the old
| guard, and by many new members who no doubt represent a wide spectrum of
| thinking on SC 34’s subject areas. There was no substantive discussion either
| of Ecma’s proposed maintenance agreement for OOXML (should it become a
| standard), or of the UK’s proposal to create a new working group for Office
| document formats. These will most likely be formally addressed in the next SC
| 34 meeting which will take place in Oslo in April 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| Finally, my own working group convenor Martin Bryan is stepping down in
| anticipation of his retirement next year.
|
| [...]
|
| Martin has been something of a mentor to me, guiding me along some of the
| more Byzantine passages of the ISO/IEC process. At the plenary Martin spoke
| to his paper which has been the subject of some comment in the blogosphere
| (and which was never intended for public circulation).

`----

http://www.adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry071209-141310

That's the man who spoke about Microsoft's scandalous corruption of the whole
process. Here's why they do this, careless about their depiction as criminals
in suits.

Setting the standard Implementing ODF Get ready to worry

,----[ Quote ]
| [The South African] Government's decision to adopt open document format is a
| bold one and will not come unchallenged. In the wider market, open document
| format (ODF) could have an enormously positive impact, but gaining the
| benefits offered by the format depends on several key factors.
|
| [...]
|
| The possibility that the whole world could one day use open standards for
| documents is a positive one. In March, it will be decided whether Open XML
| will be ratified as an open standard. Should Microsoft's standard
| successfully be approved, it will provide the company with much leverage to
| encourage doubt in government at its decision for ODF. By then, however,
| government will be well on its way to implementing the ODF standard and
| updating its departments, with a commitment to have finally completed the
| move by 2009. The public, therefore, should follow government's lead. It was
| a bold move for government to put its documents where its mouth is and it
| should encourage the private sector to do the same.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/industryinsight/opensource/vanstaden071211.asp?S=Open%20Source&A=LIN&O=FPII

Related:

Denmark Pretends MSOOXML Already an "Open Standard" & Mandates a Trial of
ODF/MSOOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Denmark has announced that open standards are going to be a requirement going
| forward there, starting in January, which is being hailed as a great step
| forward for openness. However, if you look closely, you will see that it is
| pretending that MSOOXML has already been approved as an open standard,
| equivalent to ODF. ODF is already an ISO approved standard. MSOOXML is not.
| It was specifically disapproved, and the next meeting will be in February,
| which is after the January starting date in Denmark. In short, Denmark simply
| doesn't care about ISO approval.
|
| Denmark ranks the two as the same, and mandates a trial of both. I wonder
| what the outcome of that trial will be? Why even bother to pretend?
|
| [...]
|
| Ah! New procurements need to be able to handle at least one. Get it? MSOOXML
| is thus anointed as an "open standard" before ISO approval, and everyone can
| use only that. How does Microsoft do what it does? And why even bother to
| vote in February if ISO approval is not required before a government mandates
| use of an as-yet-unapproved "standard"?

ISO boards face OOXML deadline pressure

,----[ Quote ]
| In Denmark, a source reportedly said that Microsoft pressured him to send an
| expression of support to Dansk Standard, the Danish standards board. By
| Groklaw's translation, Version2 reported: "'If I had not sent in a positive
| comment, it would have had consequences for our relations with Microsoft', he
| says. Our source points to e.g. leads, support and seminars as areas that
| might be jeopardised if 'he did not behave'."
|
| The Danish MP reportedly wants assurance that only technical factors were
| considered by Dansk Standard and that political or economic influences were
| not brought to bear.
|
| Also, a member of the Danish parliament has reportedly lodged a pointed
| question with a government minister as to whether the government has had any
| contact with Dansk Standard with regard to the ISO vote on OOXML.
|
| In Norway, Microsoft apparently mounted an astroturfing campaign against the
| Norwegian standards body Standard Norge. Out of 59 comments received by
| Standard Norge, 37 were a Vole form letter that many of its Norwegian
| business partners didn't even bother to sign before sending them in.

Denmark Votes No with Comments to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official. Denmark will vote no with comments on OOXML.

OOXML News From Denmark

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that pressure was put on partners there as well, although
| Microsoft denies that was the intent.

The Microsoft OOXML ‘Corruption Train’ Reaches Denmark

,----[ Quote ]
| A committee from Danish Standardisation is going to decide whether to
| recommend a Microsoft standard as an open standard internationally. A
| majority in the committee have close connections to Microsoft, however….17
| out of the 31 members in the committee are so called Microsoft partners….The
| European interest organisation Foundation for a Free Information
| Infrastructure accuses Microsoft of influencing the decision process by
| asking partners to join the national decision committee.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/27/denmark-ooxml/

Danish school kid's verdict on the OLPC laptop: It's cool!

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we could make good use of it in my class," said Karl Emil as he
| tries to grab the XO from us in order to take it to school the following day.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=541246057&rid=-50

South Africa, Netherlands and Korea striding toward ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| France is making the strongest move to ODF and its native office suite,
| OpenOffice. Nearly half a million government employees are being switched to
| OpenOffice.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1351236114&rid=-50

ODF Alliance hails record growth in application support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| In total, there are now more than two dozen ODF-supporting text, spreadsheet,
| and presentation applications announced in the past three months
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/26/odf-alliance-hails-record-growth-application-support-for-odf/

ODF a National Standard in Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal for ODF to be accepted as a Malaysian Standard by SIRIM,
| Department of Standards Malaysia and ultimately the Minister of Science,
| Technology & Innovation is dormant for more than a year now. Four months
| after the Malaysian proposal went to sleep, Italy made ODF a National
| Standard. Eight months after that, Korea has followed suit. With this Korean
| news, perhaps the Malaysian proposal will be awakened.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/11/odf-a-national-.html

Obama Voices Support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenDocument Format supporters are welcoming presidential hopeful Sen. Barack
| Obama's promise to put government data online in universally accessible
| formats should he be elected.ODF a National Standard in Korea

Open IT has arrived: US presidential candidates campaigning for it

,----[ Quote ]
| When U.S. presidential candidates start promoting their open-source and
| open-document platforms, you know that the open-source movement has finally
| arrived.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820884-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

South Africa adopts ODF as govt standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African government yesterday announced the adoption of OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) as a standard for government communications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=$id&src=digg

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62030781,00.htm

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Netherlands Picks ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Frank Heemskerk, Minister of Economic Affairs, announced today that ODF will
| be the standard for reading, publishing and the exchange of information for
| all governmental organisations. The deadline is January 2009.
`----

http://gotze.eu/2007/09/netherlands-picks-odf.html

OpenDocument and Qt fonts goodness

,----[ Quote ]
| Like South Africa Adopts ODF, German Foreign Office comes out in favor of ODF
| and there are various articles going over how Holland and Belgium are
| steadilly switching governments but also schools over to ODF.
`----

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2007/11/10/opendocument-and-qt-fonts-goodness/

Opendocument_adoption

,----[ Quote ]