[News] GNU/Linux Behind the New York Stock Exchange

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Behind the New York Stock Exchange
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:14:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
| "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
| [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
| to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1285921,00.html

Related:

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

Pump and dump spam comes to Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month, the US Securities and Exchange Commission
| (SEC) had suspended trading in 35 companies that were found to
| be commonly referenced in pump-and-dump stock email campaigns.

SEC goes after stock spammers, hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| The SEC action to freeze the assets is the third filed in as many
| months involving market manipulation schemes conducted through
| online account intrusions. In the past the SEC has also taken
| action against individuals who allegedly broke into financial
| news Web sites or news release services.
|
| [...]
|
| "When spam clogs our mailboxes, it's annoying. When it rips
| off investors, it's illegal and destructive," SEC Chairman
| Christopher Cox said in a statement.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6165804.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/security/news/index.cfm?articleid=2248&pagtype=allchantopdate

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/diebold_vote_da.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Nineteen machines had 21 screen freezes or system crashes, producing a
| blue screen and messages about an "illegal operation" or a "fatal
| exception error."
|
| "Especially with this blue-screen problem, you don't know whether it's
| the printer drivers, you don't know whether it's Diebold's own code or
| whether it's Windows,"
`----

http://www.verifiedvotingfoundation.org/article.php?id=6257

Mainframe Linux at SHARE

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone is already using Linux somewhere, Elliott said, but there are still
| people who are afraid to put their mission-critical applications on it for
| fear that it is not robust enough.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118624

Open source and mission critical: The Linux application server landscape

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, Michael Dortch, executive editor and director of IT infrastructure
| management strategies at the Robert Frances Group, penned a report comparing
| Linux application server total cost of ownership (TCO) with Microsoft's
| Windows and Sun Microsystems' Solaris. In that report, Linux won handily,
| prompting Dortch to recommend that all IT managers at least give the Linux
| application server a serious look for mission-critical data center tasks.
|
| [...]
|
| What a lot of our clients are finding today, however, is that, with Linux and
| open source application servers, the wisdom of the crowd has solved those
| standards-based problems. And because the management tools are freely
| available and malleable, they find that the big sell was "cheap and free" but
| is now "What will complete my processes faster?" Open source used to be
| inexpensive and free, but now IT is finding value [in it] because it's more
| responsive and responsive.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1264755,00.html?track=NL-825&ad=597846&asrc=EM_USC_1828806&uid=2087385

Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
mission-critical applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
| of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
| and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/forrester_open_1.html

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
| systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
| senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
| software at Oracle.
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569

Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
| significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
| these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
| "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
| impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
| about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
`----

http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsights/2007/04/linux_crossing_.html

Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
| open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
| the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
| gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
| that are commercially viable.
|
| [...]
|
| "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
| financial services companies and that's why many companies are
| expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
| open source software."
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/22/1310216&from=rss

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681