Re: New York Considers OpenDocument Format, Gnumeric Contaminated by Novell/Microsoft

On Dec 31, 9:08 am, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>
> > New York nears decision on ODF vs OOXML
>
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| In addition to New York, other states, including Massachusetts, Minnesota and
> >| Texas, have eyed mandating one document file format across their IT systems.
> > `----
>
> >http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=380490273&rid=-50
>
> Mandating anything other than a real open standard makes no sense.
> There is no decision to make between ODF and OOXML.  The only reason
> anyone's even considered it is because of Microsoft's lobbying.

There are a few misleading statements, first
<quote>
The next month a group designed to promote ODF, the OpenDocument
Foundation, withdrew support of ODF in favor of CDF (Compound Document
Format). As 2007 closes, companies such as IBM, Sun Microsystems and
Google continue to promote ODF, while Microsoft remains the most
visible supporter of OOXML.
</quote>

The OpenDocument Foundation, was NOT designed to promote ODF, it was
actually designed to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.   They
attempted to use a name that was deliberately confusing, and then
claim that ODF was a bad standard.  They were trying to insist that
the standard should be "enhanced" to be more like OOXML, as an
envelope for proprietary Microsoft format binary BLOBS.

I'm not sure how New York will play out.  It seems that the current
administration is more likely to lean toward an anti-monopoly stance,
which will either be a reccomendation, or a mandate, for ODF, but
their are a lot of Wall-Street lobbiests who would push for
Microsoft.  A few major companies in New York are also big supporters
of Open Document Format, including IBM and it's Lotus Symphony and
Lotus Notes 8.

The bigger problem, for the politicians, is attempting to support
OOXML or any other Microsoft monopoly standard, and justifying the
expense of upgrading millions of New York State computers to Vista and
Office 2007 (which would be the only way to get a fully implemented
version of OOXML).

Meanwhile, IBM, Sun, and OpenOffice.org are all able to provide ODF
compatible Office suites for a fraction of the price of Microsoft's
Office systems (MSRP to MSRP).

In addition, Sun is now offering free downloads of OpenOffice (and
Star Office?) to those who get the automatic Java updates.

Microsoft will probably lobby very hard, including visits by Steve
Ballmer, Bill and Melinda Gates, and other key Microsoft executives,
once they have found the three to four people who could reverse a
decision to use ODF.

The problem is that this time, the governor of New York is not
particularly fond of Microsoft, and may not be willing to permit a
reversal of such a decision without some dire consequences.  Remember
that New York is one of the states that is pushing for an extension of
the Antitrust ruling because they don't consider the settlement to be
effective.