Re: [News] [SOT] RIAA Relies on Your Data Loss, Makes It the Law

"Linonut" <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>* Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html
>
>   At the Thomas trial in Minnesota, Sony BMG's chief of litigation,
>   Jennifer Pariser, testified that "when an individual makes a copy of
>   a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Copying a
>   song you bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy,' "
>   she said.
>
> These people are fucking idiots.  No other word for it.

Who gives a rat's ass? By alienating their customers I doubt there will even
BE a record industry in 30 years from now.

For example, my nephews and nieces all have huge MP3 collections but they've
*never* purchased a song, EVER. The RIAA has created an ENTIRE GENERATION
which has NEVER bought music. Sure, some of it is due to piracy but a large
part of it is also pure frustration about DRM and incompatible formats. It's
simply easier to swap songs on the Internet in MP3 than it is to work with
DRM-crippled music.

The music industry is finally catching on, but I figure it's too little, too
late. It's only thirty-something people like me who are still buying music,
the real neckbreaker will come in a decade or so when the current teenagers
need to take over that role....which will then fall flat on its face since
they're simply not accustomed to buying music.