[News] Ubuntu Gives Precedence to GNOME, PCLinuxOS GNOME Version Created

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Gives Precedence to GNOME, PCLinuxOS GNOME Version Created
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:38:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Has GNOME finally killed off KDE in the Ubuntu interface wars?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hardy Heron will be assured of LTS status it seems, making Ubuntu 8.04
| the second version of this Linux distro to get the Canonical commercial
| blessing. The decision would appear to be a simple commercial one, after all
| GNOME is far and away the most popular when it comes to downloads. Mark
| Shuttleworth, Canonical CEO, reckons it accounts for around 65% of all Ubuntu
| downloads. So where does this leave the other 35% who are loyal to KDE?

Community Remaster - PCLOS Gnome 2.21.2 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Ken Dotson (Gnome Edition Release Manager) has announced the release of PCLOS
| Gnome Edition 2.21.2. Featuring kernel 2.6.22.15, Gnome 2.21.2, Gnome office
| apps, Firefox 2.0.0.11, Frostwire, Azureus, Xmms, Flash, JRE, a ton of
| multimedia apps, and much more.
`----

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Quote for the day:

"I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the
public good."

                                        --Adam Smith

Related:

Red Hat Offers Global Desktop for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Red Hat launching a new Linux-based desktop operating system,
| called Global Desktop for Linux, one analyst is saying the software
| could be "huge" for Linux, particularly in developing countries that
| haven't gone the Microsoft Windows route. Red Hat's Global Desktop
| for Linux is a commercial spinoff of the One Laptop Per Child project.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Red-Hat-Offers-Global-Desktop-for-Linux/story.xhtml?story_id=0110001A6OI0

Tour of GNOME Online Desktop

,----[ Quote ]