[News] [Rival] Microsoft Snubbed, Blocked in China

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Snubbed, Blocked in China
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 04:57:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Beijing Blocks Microsoft Deal With Electronics Maker

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese securities regulators have stiff-armed Microsoft, blocking an
| application by Sichuan Changhong Electric Co. to sell shares to the U.S.
| software giant and other investors.
|
| The China Security Regulatory Commission gave no reason for its decision, but
| it comes after a spate of accusations that news of the Microsoft deal was
| leaked to allow insiders in the Chinese electronics manufacturer to benefit
| from the resulting spike in the price of its shares.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/markets/economy/2007/12/28/msft-sichuan-changhong-markets-equity-cx_jc_1228markets3.html

China takes on Ballmer

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/28/china-takes-ballmer

Related:

Will Microsoft follow European open source edict worldwide?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Guangzhou Daily in southern China, near Hong Kong, reports the company
| has not yet agreed to fulfill the conditions of its European agreement in
| China.
|
| [...]
|
| China just recently passed an anti-trust law, the paper writes, which is not
| yet in effect, and Microsoft (China) Co. Ltd. did not tell the paper when or
| if it would release the code outside Europe.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1620

Chinese antitrust law said to be imminent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/29/chinese-antitrust-law-said-to-be-imminent/

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Korean software firm sues Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Korean newspaper Chosun, the US software mammoth has been
| accused of causing a loss in sales revenue estimated at W30bn (US$1=W918)
| because the firm's Windows operating system comes pre-loaded with a media
| player and instant messaging.
|
| Seoul Central District Court confirmed yesterday that Digito was suing
| Microsoft in the US and Korea, claiming that the software giant had violated
| the Fair Trade Act since 2000.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/korean_digito_sues_microsoft/

Microsoft sued by Beijing student for privacy infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Lu argued that Microsoft had violated his legal rights by providing a formal
| contract which had to be accepted in order to proceed with the installation.
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/13/content_6718045.htm

Microsoft's piracy fight gains momentum in China

,----[ Quote ]
| In his first official visit to the United States in 2006, China President Hu
| Jintao arrived for dinner at Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqGS:MSFT - News) Chairman
| Bill Gates' house with a gift for the host.
|
| Shortly before Hu's Seattle visit, the Chinese government had issued a decree
| requiring all personal computers manufactured in China to come with a
| licensed operating system before leaving the factory gates.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN2127797020071221

McCain comes out against Net Neutrality; Says would hire Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| In another move that was sure to infuriate many geeks, the 70 year
| old presidential hopeful also said that he would ask Microsoft CEO
| Steve Ballmer to serve on his cabinet to deal with technology issues
| if elected. He did not however say what position Ballmer might be
| hired in, but did joke that he might consider him for a diplomatic
| position, such as ambassador to China.
`----

http://www.thedailybackground.com/2007/05/30/mccain-comes-out-against-net-neutrality-says-would-hire-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer/

Treachery In The Trenches