[News] Releases: Damn Small Linux 4.2.2, Wine 0.9.52, Ruby 1.9.0

  • Subject: [News] Releases: Damn Small Linux 4.2.2, Wine 0.9.52, Ruby 1.9.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 04:51:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[DSL] Current 4.x version: 4.2.2,

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

0.9.52 of Wine

,----[ Quote ]
| What's new in this release:
|   - Improved graphics tablet support.
|   - Support for RPC context handles.
|   - Fixes for some longstanding screen depth issues.
|   - Implementation of "My Network Places" shell folder.
|   - Lots of bug fixes.
`----

http://winehq.org/?announce=0.9.52

Ruby 1.9.0 is released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are happy to announce of the release of the 1.9.0 the development release.
`----

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/136553

Related:

Review of Damn Small Linux 4.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Damn Small Linux succeeds in accomplishing it's primary goals, being small,
| lightweight, fast, and easy to use. I found myself wishing I had a few slower
| machines around to install DSL for web browsing and music.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/473581/review_of_damn_small_linux_41.html

Screenshots Of Damn Small Linux 4.2.

,----[ Quote ]
| On the desktop, you can see the new black/blue theme with "Fractal Movements"
| background.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/223/1/

Damn Small Linux - Change log for v4.2

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=19536

DSL 4.0: Damn small improvement

,----[ Quote ]
| Damn Small Linux is tiny Linux distribution that John Andrews originally
| created in 2002 to see just how many applications could fit into a 50MB
| system. The project has grown over the years to include many other
| contributors working on hundreds of packages and applications. Last month's
| release of DSL 4.0 brought many updates and changes, yet it remains a
| special-purpose distribution for older hardware because it lacks support for
| many modern features.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/120923

Damn Small Linux: operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| As the demands of all operating systems increase, Damn Small Linux
| (DSL) is a refreshing change and worth considering by anyone
| with an old computer.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2169925/damn-small-

Damn Small Linux to offer FREE market place for merchants

,----[ Quote ]
| In an attempt to passively earn funding for the Damn Small Linux project,
| the developers of DSL are offering free storefronts to merchants.
| Having a store front on damnsmalllinux.org is an opportunity for
| retailers to increase visibility and sales without risk.
`----

http://presszoom.com/story_121593.html

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

Ruby brightens the NetBeans platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The early-access release of the NetBeans Ruby Pack is comprised of a
| plug-in to the open-source NetBeans development environment
| supporting Ruby and JRuby, which is a Java implementation of Ruby
| that runs on the Java Virtual Machine. NetBeans has been centered
| on Java but is being extended to Ruby.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070302/tc_infoworld/86470

RadRails Speeds Web App Development