[News] MySQL Adds XML Features to Its Free Software

  • Subject: [News] MySQL Adds XML Features to Its Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:58:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
XML Moves to mySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| The unification of XML and SQL relational data has taken another significant
| step forward recently with the introduction of significant new XML
| functionality in mySQL, the world’s most popular open source database. In
| versions 5.1 and 6.0, mySQL adds the ability to retrieve tables (and JOINS)
| as XML results, to retrieve SQL schemas as XML files, to both select content
| via a subset of XPath and to update content using similar function...
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/12/xml_moves_to_mysql.html

Quote for the day:

"Two years after you ship a product, no one will remember if you were two
months late. Everyone will remember if you ship a bad product."

                                --Windows 2000 Marketing Manager Jim Ewel

Related:

MySQL Releases Database Connector Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Zack Urlocker, executive vice president of products at MySQL, said the new
| Unicode support makes it possible to deal with virtually every language on
| the planet—even made-up ones such as Klingon, the language of the alien
| Klingon species on "Star Trek."

Open source here to stay, says MySQL CEO Marten Mickos

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft can use [its] money in other ways to threaten free and open-source
| software, and I'm sure that they have," Mickos said. "But I think we will see
| less of that in the future because they've done it and it hasn't helped
| them." Many Microsoft customers use open-source products and find it
| challenging when the company makes it harder to integrate Microsoft products
| and open-source software, he said.
|
| "I'm not too worried," Mickos said. "This open source movement is so strong
| that nothing can stop it anymore."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9027662&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/2rjmtn