[News] Another Pundit and Another "Year of Desktop Linux"

  • Subject: [News] Another Pundit and Another "Year of Desktop Linux"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:03:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
2008: Linux’s year on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop Linux hurts Microsoft
| Linux has kept a big chunk of the server business out of Microsoft’s hands.
| But in 2008, Linux will hurt Microsoft on the desktop. Here’s how.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=260

Quote for the day:

"Monopoly exists when a specific individual or enterprise has sufficient
control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the
terms on which other individuals shall have access to it."

                                --Milton Friedman

Related:

Big Picture Stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| The same thing, I believe, with happen with Linux. It will slowly creep up on
| the IT world until one day someone will notice the landscape has been
| completely changed. At that time, the media wags will declare the Year of the
| Linux Desktop, but that won't really mark the tipping point--no one will
| really know when that happened, unless we were really paying attention.
|
| Like all good projects, the success of Linux on the desktop will happen over
| time, not all at once. So maybe we can put away the media hype this year. And
| the next.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-21-015-26-OP-CY-DT

The year of the Linux desktop has finally arrived

,----[ Quote ]
| While Windows advocates may smirk and say here we go again, as 2007 draws to
| a close I get the strong feeling that we may look back upon this year and
| recognize it with hindsight as the year that the Linux desktop finally
| arrived. There are a number of events that point to 2007 as being the turning
| point for Linux and it all started in January with the release of Windows
| Vista.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15177/1023/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit.
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/072507-linux-microsoft-gains.html?page=3

Playing the numbers game: how many Linux installations and users are out there?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/08/29/playing-the-numbers-game-how-many-linux-installations-and-users-are-out-there/