[News] More Proof That MSBBC Created Platform Lock-in in Vain

  • Subject: [News] More Proof That MSBBC Created Platform Lock-in in Vain
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:55:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wal-Mart cancels movie download service

,----[ Quote ]
| HP spokesman Hector Marinez said the company decided to discontinue its video
| download-only merchant store services because the market for paid video
| downloads did not perform "as expected." He noted that the Internet video
| business remains uncertain and is changing rapidly.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6224114.html

BBC should pay attention. Its download service was made Windows-only and it
later made a streaming option, only because all platforms needed to be
supported. Google screwed many people as well when they shut down such as
service and denied people access to films that they _bought_.

The Register published an article to explain how the clunky iPlayer (for
Windows) has become a great shame and a dinosaur in a Web era. Microsoft longs
for desktop (Windows-only) lockins.

Quote for the day:

"I can say that if that’s Microsoft’s best defense, they’ve got a very
desperate strategy in responding to the DOJ’s case."

                                --Scott McNealy

Related:

Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/11186/anti-drm-protesters-call-bbc-eliminate-drm-iplayer