Re: [News] VMWare Made GNU/Linux Highest-priority Platform

* Erik Funkenbusch fired off this tart reply:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:29 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>> You sure about that?
>>
>>    http://www.petri.co.il/5_ways_to_adminster_esx_server.htm
>
> Well, certainly, you can get into the console and command line it, and most
> things are available that way, but it's pretty cryptic... even for Linux
> users.

I thought that page also mentioned a Web interface.

> Not exactly.  VMWare claims that they use linux on ESX server only as a
> boot loader, and console interface.  They claim they take over the machine
> and do all the "heavy lifting" themselves.

I know, was just jabbing.

>> I don't see anything there about idle CPUs.
>
> How, precisely is a machine "idle" if it's CPU isn't?
>
>> I bow to you, Erik.  You're the only guy I know who can quote out of
>> context even with the context present! <grin>
>
> Obviously an idle machine has an idle CPU, does it not?  That's like trying
> to say "The car is idling doesn't mean the engine is idling".

A computer can be sitting here apparently idle, yet still doing a lot of
things.

So one of you has a different idea of "idle" than the other.

That would be a bit more logicial than thinking one of you was stupid,
right?

>> More Erik stammering and nitpicking to try to minimize a pro-Linux post
>> and spin it back to benefit Microsoft.
>
> How is it nitpicking to point out that Roy's article doesn't say anything
> like what he claimed it did?

Because you haven't really done that?

--
Tux rox!