[News] Vietnam Government Pushes for Greater Use of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Vietnam Government Pushes for Greater Use of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:01:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ministry encourages open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communications has recommended state agencies
| use four open source software products - Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox
| and Unikey.

Earlier this week:

Hacao Classmate PC avaiable ! [and Vietnam grows on OpenOffice.org]

,----[ Quote ]
| Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
| Hot news from Vietnam here...

Students using PCLinuxOS in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, I decided to test PCLinuxOS with my students. Wow, amazing. Finally
| a Linux distro that the majority of my students actually liked using. It ran
| faster than any of the other Linux distros they tried and easily connected to
| the internet from inside the school (they like to read Yahoo 360 blogs in
| class). They figured out how to use Konquerer to browse around the different
| directories in their laptops without me even telling them. As with Macbooks,
| the Desktop GUI was easy to learn. Thus, I decided to use PCLinuxOS.

[Vietnam] Council considers IT needed software

Opportunities for open source software in Vietnam

FOSS Bridge pairs companies in EU and Vietnam

Vietnam to begin working on free software

Vietnam Switches to OpenOffice.org!

Vietnam joins hands with EU to develop open software

F/OSS Business Models Forum in Hanoi, Vietnam

Vietsoftware join forces with Asianux

Hacao Linux 2.16 Professional released

Sun shares its technology with Vietnam's open source community

State [Vietnam] promotes use of shareware

Vietnam gives priority to open source software

Open-source software offers affordable option

Intel's OLPC-killer heads for Vietnamese retailers

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Hacao Classmate PC" is based on Intel's Classmate PC design, and will
| come pre-installed with Hacao Linux, a Vietnamese-language Linux distribution
| based on Puppy Linux.
`----      ^^^^^^^^^^^

Vietnam Plans to Switch to Open-Source

| The efforts made by Microsoft to reduce software piracy in Vietnam, where an
| industry group has estimated more than 90% of all software is counterfeit
| were useless. The applications got sold as cheap as $2 per CD.
| The Communist Party has announced that it will replace Microsoft Office with
| the free software product OpenOffice, to avoid breaching the law or paying a
| lot of money per licensed program. The council that took the decision met on
| Thursday, October 10, to decide how they will choose the open source
| programs.

PC-BSD added to Vietnam BSD/Linux Mirror

,----[ Quote ]