[News] Linux Journal Reviews Linux-based Presents

  • Subject: [News] Linux Journal Reviews Linux-based Presents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:37:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Geeky Gifts -- a Pleo

,----[ Quote ]
| Pleo's operating system is called Life OS and is rumored to be based on
| embedded Linux (time for me to do some research). It is open to modification
| by the user community so that owners can make their own sounds or new
| behaviors for it.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005953

Geeky Gift-off

,----[ Quote ]
| LJ Gadget Guy Shawn Powers managed to keep us busy one-upping each other in
| the office today -- he wanted to know who got the geekiest gift this holiday
| season.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005959

Related:

Tux Droid delivers a very Merry Linuxmas

,----[ Quote ]
| Although it could be argued that your average fanboy has already got the
| present they wanted this xmas in the continuing growth of Linux in terms of
| both actual deployment and media popularity, or maybe the arrival of the
| Linux server for Unreal Tournament 3 or even the fact that the BBC iPlayer is
| now Linux compatible. But no, believe me, when they see the dancing plastic
| penguin that announces the arrival of new email all that will change.

Intriguing Holiday Gifts

,----[ Quote ]
| Featured in this Roundup:
|
| FrontOLPC XO-1 ($399 direct to donate one, get one—until December 31, 2007)
| The XO-1 laptop by the One Laptop per Child (OLPC) initiative is a
| game-changer for disadvantaged children in developing countries. For a
| limited time you can benefit as well.
|
| AngleASUS Eee PC 4G ($400 street)
| Despite its minor annoyances, the ASUS Eee PC 4G—a 2-pound ultraportable—is
| sleek, versatile, and well worth the $400.
|
| Amazon Kindle - FrontAmazon Kindle ($400 direct)
| It's pricey, but Amazon's Kindle is the e-book's best hope to make the best
| seller list.

Seller Beware - Hemorrhage of Customers Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a side note to humbly remind you that Komputers4Kids is in need of some
| help in order for us to get our influx of Christmas season orders met. We are
| looking at 18 computers to build in the next 7 days...and getting the fuel in
| the vehicles to deliver and set them up. Any help you could provide us will
| be appreciated long after this season is over.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/391-AUTOSAVED-Seller-Beware-Hemorrhage-of-Customers-Ahead.html
http://tinyurl.com/33owlq

Linux Drives Hot Holiday PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux machines are cheaper and often more energy efficient than their Windows
| and Mac counterparts.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/60564.html

Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/12/01/why-i-will-recommend-linux-to-family-this-year/

,----[ Quote ]
| For her birthday, I bought Leslee a Asus Eee (pronounced E).  I've had my eye
| out for an ultraportable laptop for her for a while.  So far, I'd only found
| very expensive ultraportables.  When this came out, and was available in the
| $350-400 range, I jumped at it.  For some, the fact that it runs Linux might
| be a deterrent, but definitely not for me.
|
| [...]
|
| Leslee tells me every day how much she loves it.  I bought it for her, so
| that's what matters.  The fact that it exposes her to Linux and open source
| software is a nice bonus.
`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/asus-eee

Ten things you can do to help open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is all about the community multiplying individual efforts: at
| whatever level you can, doing something you care about will bring rewards for
| all.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39291123,00.htm

Gift Ideas for Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you have a friend who finally got tired of all the crashes and bugs that
| come with Windows? Did they switch to Linux and now swear by it? Then these
| are the perfect gift ideas for your shopping list. The following gift ideas
| are perfect for all penguin loving Linux users.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/457009/gift_ideas_for_linux_users.html

Nothing Says Holiday Cheer Like Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| You can also play Santa yourself and show up with your list in hand. Many
| people would appreciate a little help with the installation process, so you
| can just load the software for them -- or even install a Linux distro like
| Ubuntu or Fedora that comes bundled with lots of basic applications most
| people will find helpful. Installing Linux is so easy these days, almost
| anyone can do it -- but you can keep that piece of news totally secret!

Kindle, Eee PC top Amazon.com 'most wanted' list

,----[ Quote]
| Ironically, perhaps, it was the N810 that was the only meachine ahead of the
| Eee PC in Amazon.com's list of best-selling notebooks. Even though the N810
| isn't a notebook, in the true, computery sense of the word.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/22/eee_pc_americas_most_wanted/

Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek

,----[ Quote ]
| Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift
| from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from
| LinuxDevices.com's news throughout 2007. There's something for everyone, at
| prices from $150 to $1,000, organized from least to most expensive. Enjoy!

There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Theres-No-System-Like-Linux-for-the-Holidays-60397.html